100 Modern Boy Names for a 21st-Century Baby Boy
Many parents start deciding on baby names very early on in the pregnancy while some struggle to find the perfect name until the third trimester. Don't worry! Sometimes all it takes is seeing your little one for the first time to know what the right name for them is. Many parents want a unique baby name for their little boy that doesn't sound too old-fashioned or overused.
If you are looking for modern boy name ideas, then you have come to the right place. This list is full of all kinds of modern baby boy names to pick from or at least get you thinking.
Related: 75 Classic Boy Names That Will Stand the Test of Time
Whether you are searching for contemporary names or unique baby names, you will find lots of options for boys, girls, and even a good selection of gender-neutral names. Believe it or not, even the Social Security Administration's list of baby boy names and baby girl names could help get your mind going since you can find out what all of the most popular names have been.
Here are the top 100 modern baby names broken down into several categories to help you find the perfect moniker for your new addition.
Modern Baby Boy Names Starting with A to D
These unique boy names are popular picks for parents who want to choose a trendy boy name for their little one.
- Aden - Hebrew name meaning “delicate”
- Adrian - Unisex name meaning “rich”
- Archer - English for "bowman."
- Arlo - German name meaning “famous throughout the land”
- Asher - Hebrew for "fortunate."
- Ashton - Old English name for "ash tree."
- Atlas - A titan in Greek mythology who is known for supporting the weight of the earth with his back.
- Auggie - Latin for "magnificent."
- Axel - Old German name meaning “Father of peace”
- Beckett - Swedish for "brook."
- Beau - Norse name meaning “to live or dwell”
- Bentley - Old English name meaning “from the moor”
- Blaze - This edgy boy’s name
- Brantley - Norse name or Old German name for "fiery torch."
- Brody - Gaelic name meaning “ditch” or “mire.”
- Bowie - A unisex name of Scottish origin, meaning “yellow-haired”
- Caleb - Hebrew, meaning, “faithful”
- Callum - Scottish or Gaelic name for "dove."
- Camden - Irish and Scottish name for "winding valley."
- Colton - English name meaning “coal town.”
- Crew - Latin for "chariot."
- Cruz - Unisex Greek name meaning “grace” or “kindness.”
- Dallas - Irish for "skilled."
- Deacon - Greek name for "messenger."
- Declan - The name Declan is of Greek origin and means "messenger."
Modern Baby Boy Names Starting with E to I
Some modern boy names are classic names that fell out of style and are now having a resurgence. Check out these interesting boy name picks and meanings.
- Elias - Hebrew name meaning, “The Lord is God”
- Elijah - Hebrew name meaning, “strong God”
- Easton - Derived from a place name that faces east and is of Scottish and English origin.
- Emery - Latin for "loving."
- Ezra - Hebrew for "salvation."
- Ezekiel - Hebrew name meaning “the strength of God”
- Finnegan - Irish for "fair."
- Finley - Celtic name meaning “fair-haired”
- Gage - French name for "pledge."
- Greyson - English for "son of Seward."
- Griffin - English, A mythological beast—half lion, half eagle—charged with watching over golden treasures
- Hudson - Old English name for "son of Hud."
- Huxley - English for "ash tree field."
- Isaac - Hebrew boy name meaning “laughter”
- Ishmael - Hebrew meaning “God will hear”
Modern Baby Boy Names Starting with J to P
New-age boy names stand out in a crowd. Here are some of the most popular names for boys of the last century.
- Jace - Greek name meaning "healer" and Hebrew for "the Lord of salvation."
- Jackson - Hebrew for "supplanter."
- Jameson - Hebrew for "supplanter."
- Javon - Hebrew, Deceiver, one who makes sadness
- Jax - English, God has been gracious
- Jett - English for the black mineral.
- Justice - Latin, form of Justus
- Kade- English for "barrel" and Scottish for "from the wetlands."
- Kai - Gender-neutral name of Hawaiian origin meaning, “sea”
- Kieran - Irish, Scottish Dusky; dark-headed; dark; black
- Leland - Old English for "from the meadowland."
- Lincoln - Old English for "home by the pond" or "town by the pool."
- Luca - Italian for "bringer of light."
- Maddox - English, meaning, “son of the Lord”
- Maverick - English for "nonconforming" or American for "wildly independent."
- Maxwell - English name meaning “capable”
- Milo - German, Soft-hearted, merciful
- Nash - Old English for "cliff."
- Nolan - Irish, Renowned, noble
- Oakley - Old English, “meadow of oak trees”
- Otto - German for "wealthy."
- Owen - Irish, Born to nobility; warrior
- Parker - Old English name meaning, “Cultivated land”
- Pax - Pax is a boy's name of Latin origin. Meaning "peace"
- Paxton - English unisex name meaning “peace town”
- Phoenix - Greek, Mystical bird; Dark red
Modern Baby Boy Names Starting with Q to Z
Names that start with Q, X, Y, and Z always have a futuristic feel to them. Here are some unique and modern boy name options that start with Q to Z.
- Quentin - Quentin is a French name that means "the fifth."
- Quincy - Spanish name meaning “fifteenth child”
- Ranger - French name for "dweller in the field."
- Remy - French name meaning, “oarsman”
- Ridley - Old English for "reed clearing."
- Roman - Hebrew name meaning “strong and powerful”
- Rowan - Irish boy name meaning “red-haired”
- Ryder - English for "horseman."
- Sai - Indian name meaning “one who is divine”
- Salem - African-American boy's name meaning “peace.”
- Salome - Hebrew name meaning
- Salvador - Spanish name meaning “savior.”
- Silas - Latin name meaning “wood.”
- Stefan - German boy name meaning “crown” or “wreath.”
- Sterling - Scottish spelling of "Stirling" and means "genuine" in English.
- Sullivan - Gaelic name meaning “black eyes.”
- Tai - Vietnamese name meaning “talent.”
- Tanner- English name meaning “leather worker”
- Thatcher - Old English for "roof fixer."
- Theo - short form of the popular boy’s name Theodore. This nickname is gaining traction as a modern boy name in its own right.
- Troy - Old French name for the city of Troy.
- Tucker - Middle English for "tailor."
- Wade - Middle English name meaning “ford”
- Waylon - Old English for "land beside the road."
- Weston - Old English for "from the western town."
- Wynn - Welsh boy name meaning “Fair.”
- Xavier - The name Xavier is of Arabic origin and means "new house" or "bright
- Yuri - A unisex name in Japanese meaning “lily.”
- Zachariah - Hebrew boy name meaning “remembered by God.”
- Zane - Arabic for "beloved" and Hebrew for "God is gracious."
- Zander - Greek name meaning “defender of man.”
- Zeke - Arabic name meaning, “the memory of the Lord.”
- Zephyr - Spanish name meaning “flying in the wind”
- Zeppelin - The German name for an airship.
For more baby boy name inspiration check out these popular baby name lists:
- 150 Evil Names for Boys with Villainous Meanings
- Top 1000 Most Popular Baby Boy Names in the U.S.
- Top 1000 Most Popular Baby Girl Names in the U.S.
Love these baby names for blessing? Pin this list to save it for later:
Was this article helpful?
Stefanie Miller, Lead Baby Names Writer
Stefanie is an experienced parenting writer and has published works in other publications such as Motherly.