Boy name origins & meanings
- English: bowman
What does Archer mean and stand for?
The name Archer is of English origin and means "bowman." It was originally an Anglo-Saxon occupational surname. It is of Old French origin.
How Popular Is The Name Archer
Family name origins & meanings
- English : from Old French arch(i)er, Middle English archere, hence an occupational name for an archer. This Norman French word partially replaced the native English word bowman in the 14th century. In North America this surname may have absorbed some cases of European cognates such as French Archier.
According to Social Security Administration data, Archer steadily increasing in popularity since re-entering the scene in just 2009 at 682. It broke the top 200 for the first time in 2020.
However, it is the 5th most popular name on FamilyEducation.com.
According to Google search data analysis, in the last five years Archer was at its peak popularity in April 2017.
Archer was originally a surname, but has really gained popularity as a given name with its ability to invoke images of The Hunger Games. It first became popular in the 1800s, but fell off for nearly 130 years before making quite a resurgence. Once a nickname for Archibald, Archer now has its own notable namesakes, such as actor Archer King, painter Archer James Oliver, and historian Archer Milton Huntington. It's also been a popular choice for pop culture, appearing in the Pokemon video games, Grey's Anatomy, Crown of Midnight, and Hex Hall.
Where is it Popular?
Archer was searched for most often in the following states:
Nicknames for Archer
Pairs well with these middle names
- 75 Cottagecore Names to Inspire Your Search
- 75 Preppy Boy Names for Your Little One
- 75 Badass Names for Boys for Your Little Rebel
- The Most Popular Viking Names to Inspire Your Search
- Our Favorite Nature Names to Inspire Your Baby Name Search