75 Royal Names for Boys
This article has been fact-checked by experienced Editor and Fact-Checker Devika Tomar to ensure all the information provided is accurate and up to date.
Choosing a name for your baby is no easy task, especially with so many out there to choose from! While choosing a moniker is a bit easier for the average person, than say, a member of a royal family, many of us still have traditional names or family members we wish to honor, much like the royals.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle seemed to have no difficulty choosing their daughter's name, Lilibet Diana, in honor of Harry's grandmother, the queen, and his mother, the late Princess Diana, but what if you want a royal baby name as well?
If you're looking for the perfect royal baby name or middle name for your young prince on the way, then you are in the right spot! We have compiled 75 of the most classic boy names worldwide that honor royal families and traditions from Asia to Europe to Hawaii!
More: 75 Royal Girl Names Perfect for Your Little Princess
Royal Boy Names that Start with A to E
- Adam - Hebrew, Son of red earth. Adam is a biblical name for the first man on earth, the name of the prince who becomes the beast in Disney's Beauty and the Beast
- Ade - Yoruba, crown, royal
- Albert - Old English, noble, bright, Prince Albert was the name of Queen Victoria's husband, also the name of two Kings of Belgium
- Alexander - Greek, defender of man, famous warrior, and king of Ancient Greece
- Alfonso - Spanish, noble, brave
- Alfred - English, wise counselor
- Andrew - Greek, strong, and manly, the name of Elizabeth II's second son
- Antony - Latin, priceless one, the ruler of Rome and the lover of Cleopatra
- Archie - German, truly brave, the name of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's first son
- Arthur - Scottish/Celtic, bear, strong as a bear, in Welsh it means hero, famous king from the Knights of the Round Table and the Sword and the Stone. It is also the first name of King Henry VIII's older brother, who died and thus made Henry heir to the throne in 1502
- Augustus - Latin/Slavic - great, magnificent, majestic. Princess Eugenie chose to use a version of this name for her son August
- Baron - Hebrew, son of Aaron, landowner; son of strength. Baron is also a royal title.
- Carl - German, a version of Charles which means freeman, name of the king of Sweden King Carl XVI
- Chadwick - Old English, From the warrior's town. Protector; defender. This royal name is inspired by he late Oscar-nominated actor Chadwick Boseman who portrayed the Black Panther, the King of the fictional Wakanda in the Marvel film franchise
- Charles - German, free man, a commonly used name amongst British and French kings, the first name of Elizabeth II's eldest son Prince Charles
- Chike - African-Igbo, power of God, becoming more popular in western culture thanks to the Nigerian-English Actor Chike Okonkwo
- Christian - Latin, follower of Christ, name of one of the Crown Prince's of Denmark
- Christopher - English, bearer of Christ, a name frequently used in the Danish and Bavarian royal families
- Conor - Irish, lover of hounds, high desire, the name of the ancient King of Ulster who is believed to be born the same day as Christ
- David - Hebrew, beloved, King David is a figure of importance in the Hebrew Bible
- Douglas - Scottish, black river, dark stream. Douglas is the name of a Celtic river and attached to a powerful Scottish clan, used to be used as both a boy and girl's name
- Duke - Latin, leader, a royal title
- Earl - Old English, "warrior" or "nobleman." Earl is both a name and a royal title.
- Edgar - Old English, wealthy spearman, there was both a British and Scottish king by the name of Edgar
- Edmund - English, fortunate protector
- Edoardo - Old English, wealthy guard, Guardian of their property. Edoardo is the name of the husband of England's Princess Beatrice.
- Edward - English, wealthy guardian, the name of Elizabeth II's third son the Duke of Wessex, the name of Henry VIII's only son
Royal Boy Names that Start with F to L
- Frederick - German/English, peaceful ruler, The Crown Prince of Denmark uses the spelling Frederik
- Fumihito - compassionate, name of the brother of Emperor Naruhito of Japan, second in line to the Japanese throne
- Gabriel - Hebrew, God is my strength, the name of the second son of Prince Carl and Princess Sofia of Sweden
- George - Greek, farmer, The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's eldest son, Prince George, big brother to the adorable Charlotte and Louis and fourth in line for the British throne
- Haakan - Norse, high son, name of the Crown Prince of Norway
- Hadrian - Latin, dark-haired, famed Roman Emperor
- Harald - Norse, War Chief, name of the King of Norway
- Harry - German, home ruler. Prince Harry is the nickname name of Prince Charles and Diana's second son Henry
- Hisahito - Japanese name meaning virtuous, calm, everlasting. Hishito is a royal Japanese name and name of the son of Prince Fumihito of Japan, second in line to the Japanese throne
- Humphrey - German, peaceful warrior, a royal name used in Britain but also the first name of Hollywood Royalty, Humphrey Bogart
- Jack - English, this boy name means "God is gracious." Jack is a diminutive version of the name John, the name of Princess Eugenie's husband
- Jacques - Latin, supplanter, a name used by the royal family of Monaco
- James - English, to supplant, common British King name
- Jasper - Persian, bringer of treasure, one of the three wise men or kings who are said to have visited Christ in the stable at his birth
- Jesus - Hebrew, to deliver, to rescue, in the Christian religion the name of the son of God, also known as the Prince of Peace
- John - Hebrew, gracious, commonly used name among royals, most famous for Prince John in the Robin Hood story
- Joseph - Hebrew, he will add, a prince of Egypt from biblical times
- Julian - Latin, youthful, Jove's child, name of the third son of Princess Sofia and Prince Carl of Sweden
- Keoua - Hawaiian, the rain cloud, the middle name of a prince of the Hawaiian Royal Family whose daughter became head of the Hawaiian Royal family in 1944, grandfather to the current head of the Royal Hawaiian Family, Princess Owana Kaʻōhelelani
- Leopold - German, brave, has been used by both the English and Belgium monarchies
- Lionel - Latin, a young lion, lions have long been associated with royalty
- Louis - English, famous warrior, stems from an Old German word. 18 kings of France have used this name. It is the name of Prince William and Kate's second son
- Lucas - Latin/Greek, the name Lucas means "bringer of light." Lucas as a name for royalty is in reference to an ancient territory Luciana, common noble surname in ancient Britain
- Lunalio - Hawaiian, so high up as to be lost in sight, King of Hawaii for one year from 1873-1874
Royal Boy Names that Start with M to Z
- Malcolm - Scotland, a devotee of Saint Columba, used in the Scottish monarchy
- Malik - Arabic, king
- Michael - Hebrew, a gift from God, the first name of Kate Middleton's father
- Moses - Egyptian, delivered from water, a prince of Egypt turned Jewish prophet
- Muhammad - Arabic, praised
- Naruhito - Japanese, virtue, compassion, the name of the Emperor of Japan
- Naveen - Arabic, new, beautiful, pleasant, the name of the Disney prince in Princess and the Frog
- Nicholas - Greek, a victory of the people, a popular name among Russian Tsars
- Padraig - Irish, nobly born, the anglicized version is Patrick
- Peter - Greek, the stone, name of the first Pope, common Russian Tsar name
- Philip - Greek, horse lover, the name of Queen Elizabeth II's husband, also the name of the Disney prince in Sleeping Beauty who the real-life Prince Philip of England inspired
- Ramiro - Spanish, renowned counselor
- Richard - Old German, powerful leader, Richard the Lionhearted was a famous English King
- Robert - Germanic, fame-bright, name of the first King that United Scotland, Robert the Bruce
- Rupert - German, bright fame
- Saka - African-Swahili, hunter, brave, smart, king of kings
- Stephen - Greek, garland, crown
- Sverre - Norse, wild, swinging, spinning, name of the youngest Prince of Norway
- Tor - The name Tor is both Nigerian for "king" and means "thunder" in Old Norse culture.
- Umberto - Italian, bright warrior, used in Italian royal families
- Victor - Latin, conquerer
- Vincent - Latin, conquering, the name of one of the Crown Princes of Denmark
- William - English, resolute protector, strong-willed warrior. The name of the Prince of Wales, first son and third in line for the British throne
- Windsor - Old English, riverbank with a winch; The last name of the British Royal Family
For more baby name inspiration check out these popular baby name lists:
- Top 1000 Most Popular Baby Girl Names in the U.S.
- Top 1000 Most Popular Baby Boy Names in the U.S.
- The 100 Coolest Baby Names in the World
Considering one of these names? Pin it to save it for later.
- Hamariweb. (2023). Mika - Hindu Girl Name. https://hamariweb.com/names/hindu/hindi/girl/mika-meaning_16025
- The Health Site. (2023). Meaning of Sehar. https://www.thehealthsite.com/baby-names/meaning-of-sehar-29692/#:~:text=Sehar - Dawn%2C Early Morning%3B Intelligent%3B Beautiful.
- Wikipedia. (2023). Rohit (name). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rohit_(name)#:~:text=The word "rohit" signifies the,usually has a reddish tint.
Was this article helpful?
About L. Elizabeth Forry
L. Elizabeth Forry is an Early Childhood Educator with 15 years of classroom experience.