Boy name origins & meanings
- Greek: Christ-bearer
What does Christopher mean and stand for?
The name Christopher is of Greek origin and means "bearer of Christ." Derived from the Greek Christophoros, Christopher was first used figuratively before becoming a popular boy name.
Discover more baby name meanings to learn what's behind every name.
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings
- English: from a medieval personal name which ostensibly means ‘bearer of Christ’, Latin Christopherus, Greek Khristophoros, from Khristos ‘Christ’. Compare Christian + -pher-, -phor- ‘carry’. This was borne by a rather obscure 3rd-century martyred saint. His name was relatively common among early Christians, who desired to bear Christ metaphorically with them in their daily lives. Subsequently, the name was explained by a folk etymology according to which the saint carried the infant Christ across a ford and so became the patron saint of travelers. In this guise, he was enormously popular in the Middle Ages, and many inns were named with the sign of St. Christopher. In some instances, the surname may have derived originally from the residence at or association with such an inn. As an American family name, Christopher has absorbed cognates from other continental European languages. (For forms, see Hanks and Hodges 1988.)
Famous people who gave their babies this name
Popularity of the Name Christopher
According to Social Security Administration data, Christopher has been consistently popular, remaining in the top 50 since 2000, and was in the top 10 from 2000 to 2009.
However, it is the 42nd most popular name on FamilyEducation.com.
According to Google search data analysis, in the last five years Isabella was at its peak popularity in August 2018.
Christopher was originally used figuratively to represent the bearing of Christ in one's heart. It was eventually used as a name for Saint Christopher, a martyr who became the patron saint of travelers in the third century. The saint was named after the giant Christopher, who carried Christ across the river when he was a child. The name is known from childhood on as we learn about Christopher Columbus and the famous character Christopher Robin.
Where is the Name Christopher Popular?
Christopher was searched for most often in the following states:
Nicknames for Christopher
Christopher pairs well with these middle names:
The name Christopher appears on:
- 10 Baby Names Inspired by the Oscars
- Ethnic Variations of Names
- 20 Baby Names with Even Better Nicknames
- 50 Music-Inspired Baby Names by Genre