popular topics in kids
- Activities and CraftsTop 10 Rainy Day Activities for KidsIf you're like me, with two toddlers at home, a rainy day is enough to send you into a tailspin. No playground. No park. No bike rides. WHAT AM I GOING TO DO ALL DAY?! Before you go totally off the deep end, take a breath. We at FamilyEducation ...Laurie Mega
- School ShootingsSocial Media and School Violence: Helping Kids Cope After ParklandIt's been more than a week since 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz opened fire at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, FL, killing 17 people and injuring 14 others. "My concern is this: Are kids equipped to deal with this content?" -- Dr. ...Laurie Mega
- Kids and Cell PhonesCell Phones at School: Should They Be Allowed?Should cell phones be allowed in school? A 2010 Pew Research Center study found that 65 percent of cell-owning teens bring their phones to school despite any bans that may be in place. Most schools now allow students to have cell phones but requi...Maya Cohen
- Healthy SnacksAre We Too Sweet? Our Kids' Addiction to SugarYou'd be hard-pressed to find a child who doesn't love sugary foods, and chances are the processed or packaged food your child eats has some amount of added sugar. But a sweet tooth isn't as harmless as it might seem. Our country's addiction to...Lindsay Hutton
- Children's General HealthStaff Picks: Treating Childhood Illnesses: What Works and What Doesn't?Karo Syrup for Constipation: Not a Thing Karo syrup is a brand of corn syrup that was once widely recommended for helping babies poop. However, according to the Mayo Clinic, this kind of dark corn syrup doesn't contain the same chemical structur...Laurie Mega
- Celebrity BabiesIt's a Family Affair: Celeb Parents (and Parents-to-Be) Who Rocked the GrammysBlue Ivy sat between her parents, Jay-Z and Beyonce, looking impossibly cool for a six-year-old. She was dressed in white to contrast her parents in all-black. Beyoncé, Blue, Jay and Alicia Keys at the Grammys! A post shared by...Laurie Mega
- BurnsFirst Aid for BurnsFirst Aid for Burns Burns are ugly, they hurt, and they are scary. But they can be treated with simple first aid steps. In fact, they are the one injury that must be treated before medical help arrives. The fact is that burns, unless treated rig...
- Fact Monster - a safe online educational space for kids
Are you worried about your kids being online? Fact Monster is a KidSafe-certified site for your kids to get homework help, play games and watch educational videos. Check it out...and give Same Game a try yourself!
sponsored contentFamily Education
- Kids18 for 2018: The Best of Netflix for KidsThere's a lot of great stuff for kids on Netflix, some that's easy to find and some that isn't. So, we'll help you find the good stuff. We've compiled our list of 18 must-see movies and shows on Netflix, some classics, some educational and some ...Laurie Mega
- Hanukkah8 Days of Hanukkah GiftsSo you have eight nights of gift giving to contend with, and don't even know where to begin? Here are our top gift ideas for Hanukkah this year. Hanukkah Play Set From KidKraftRecommended for ages 3-6.Buy on Amazon Make Hanukkah traditions lik...Bev Feldman
- Christmas10 Stocking-Stuffers Your Kids Will Actually WantWe know how it goes. You think you've got all the Christmas shopping done...until you look up from your laptop and see the stocking hanging by the chimney with care. Shoot. So, back online you go to grab anything cute, cheap and small enough to ...Laurie Mega
- Talking About SexAn Age-by-Age Guide to Teaching Kids About "The Birds & The Bees"What should kids call their private parts? How do I explain where babies come from? Should I give my child a heads up about puberty? When should we have the "big talk"? These are just a few of the many questions you might have about talking with ...Erin Dower
- December HolidaysStaff Favorites: The Best Holiday Cookie RecipesWith holiday parties and cookie swaps looming in the forecast, it's time to make sure your arsenal of cookie recipes is complete and up-to-date. Check out our staff's favorite cookie recipes to fill any holes in your baking line-up. Ginger Snaps...
- HanukkahThe 10 Best Hanukkah Books for KidsLatke the Lucky Dog By Ellen FischerPrice: $7.99; Ages: 2-7Buy on Amazon Latke is one lucky pup! A family adopts him from an animal shelter on the first night of Hanukkah — and names him after the golden potato pancakes that his scruffy fur re...
- Thanksgiving10 Thanksgiving Crafts for KidsKeep the kids entertained and thankful this giving season with these creative craft and activity ideas for Thanksgiving. Turkey Bowl Put out some tasty treats for your Thanksgiving guests in a homemade turkey bowl you can make with your little ...
- Discipline StrategiesHandling an Attention-Seeking ChildHandling an Attention-Seeking Child"Mommy, come here and see my picture." "It's very nice, Sarah." "I can't find the blue crayon." "It's right here." "I can't find the green one." "Here it is." "I don't want to color. I want to paint." "I'll get ...
- Book FinderBook FinderFind our top picks for the best books of the year!familyeducation editors
- CyberbullyingIs Your Child Being Cyberbullied?Ok, admit it. We all have been a bully at some point in our lifetime. Think back to your days in elementary or middle school. Ever said something mean to someone on the playground about the way they look, talk, dress? Teased them about getting b...Patrick Craven