popular topics in kids
- Birthday Party Themes12 Simple but Special Traditions for Your Child's BirthdayPlanning a picture-perfect, creative, straight-off-of-Pinterest birthday for your child is so last year (not to mention LOTS of work). The most meaningful and lasting birthday memories can come from simple gestures you repeat each year to make ...Erin Dower
- IndividualityI Did it All By Myself! An Age-by-Age Guide to Teaching Your Child Life SkillsAre you preparing your child to be independent? Teaching your child life skills is not only important for self-care and sufficiency— it also allows him to feel empowered, works on socialization and reasoning, and helps develop healthy self-este...Lindsay Hutton
- Kids and Cell PhonesCell Phones at School: Should They Be Allowed?Should cell phones be allowed in school? A 2010 Pew Research Center study found that 65 percent of cell-owning teens bring their phones to school despite any bans that may be in place. Most schools now allow students to have cell phones but requi...Maya Cohen
- Gun SafetyImportant Playdate Question: “Are You a Gun Owner?”In the weeks following the horrific school shooting in Parkland, FL, gun control has been a hot-button topic of conversation in the media, online and in our own homes. It's a divisive issue, playing out into (sometimes ugly) debates. Still, guns ...Rachel Sokol
- Activities and CraftsTop 10 Rainy Day Activities for KidsIf you're like me, with two toddlers at home, a rainy day is enough to send you into a tailspin. No playground. No park. No bike rides. WHAT AM I GOING TO DO ALL DAY?! Before you go totally off the deep end, take a breath. We at FamilyEducation ...Laurie Mega
- School ShootingsSocial Media and School Violence: Helping Kids Cope After ParklandIt's been more than a week since 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz opened fire at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, FL, killing 17 people and injuring 14 others. "My concern is this: Are kids equipped to deal with this content?" -- Dr. ...Laurie Mega
- Changes During PubertyI Need Help! Is my penis too small for my age?A 14-year-old wonders if his penis is too small for his age, and if he's developing too slowly. Our expert answers his questions. ...
- AAP Says Interactive Screen Time Can Be HealthyWhen it comes to screen time and kids, it isn't all bad news. The American Academy of Pediatrics offers guidelines on how to make screen time healthy and educational.Curious World
- Healthy SnacksAre We Too Sweet? Our Kids' Addiction to SugarYou'd be hard-pressed to find a child who doesn't love sugary foods, and chances are the processed or packaged food your child eats has some amount of added sugar. But a sweet tooth isn't as harmless as it might seem. Our country's addiction to...Lindsay Hutton
- Children's General HealthStaff Picks: Treating Childhood Illnesses: What Works and What Doesn't?Karo Syrup for Constipation: Not a Thing Karo syrup is a brand of corn syrup that was once widely recommended for helping babies poop. However, according to the Mayo Clinic, this kind of dark corn syrup doesn't contain the same chemical structur...Laurie Mega
- Celebrity BabiesIt's a Family Affair: Celeb Parents (and Parents-to-Be) Who Rocked the GrammysBlue Ivy sat between her parents, Jay-Z and Beyonce, looking impossibly cool for a six-year-old. She was dressed in white to contrast her parents in all-black. Beyoncé, Blue, Jay and Alicia Keys at the Grammys! A post shared by...Laurie Mega
- Talking About SexAn Age-by-Age Guide to Teaching Kids About "The Birds & The Bees"What should kids call their private parts? How do I explain where babies come from? Should I give my child a heads up about puberty? When should we have the "big talk"? These are just a few of the many questions you might have about talking with ...Erin Dower
- Kids18 for 2018: The Best of Netflix for KidsThere's a lot of great stuff for kids on Netflix, some that's easy to find and some that isn't. So, we'll help you find the good stuff. We've compiled our list of 18 must-see movies and shows on Netflix, some classics, some educational and some ...Laurie Mega
- Hanukkah8 Days of Hanukkah GiftsSo you have eight nights of gift giving to contend with, and don't even know where to begin? Here are our top gift ideas for Hanukkah this year. Hanukkah Play Set From KidKraftRecommended for ages 3-6.Buy on Amazon Make Hanukkah traditions lik...Bev Feldman
- Christmas10 Stocking-Stuffers Your Kids Will Actually WantWe know how it goes. You think you've got all the Christmas shopping done...until you look up from your laptop and see the stocking hanging by the chimney with care. Shoot. So, back online you go to grab anything cute, cheap and small enough to ...Laurie Mega
- BurnsFirst Aid for BurnsBurns are ugly, they hurt and they're scary. But they can be treated with simple first aid steps. In fact, they're the one injury that must be treated before medical help arrives. The fact is that burns, unless treated right away, will get worse...
- Fact Monster - a safe online educational space for kids
Are you worried about your kids being online? Fact Monster is a KidSafe-certified site for your kids to get homework help, play games and watch educational videos. Check it out...and give Same Game a try yourself!
sponsored contentFamily Education
- December HolidaysStaff Favorites: The Best Holiday Cookie RecipesWith holiday parties and cookie swaps looming in the forecast, it's time to make sure your arsenal of cookie recipes is complete and up-to-date. Check out our staff's favorite cookie recipes to fill any holes in your baking line-up. Ginger Snaps...