popular topics in behavior and discipline
- Parenting Style8 Signs You Might Be Over-Parenting Your ChildIs your child a coddled kid and you don't even know it? Research published in the Journal of Child and Family Studies has found that over-parented children show less autonomy, competence, and ability to relate to others as teens, which can result...
- Dealing With Bullies11 Children's Books About Bullying, Teasing & EmpathyBullying is a serious issue, and reading children's books on the topic can help kids understand it better and have healthier relationships with their peers. Whether your child has been a victim of bullying or a participant in bullying or he just ...Erin Dower
- Discipline StrategiesHandling an Attention-Seeking ChildHandling an Attention-Seeking Child"Mommy, come here and see my picture." "It's very nice, Sarah." "I can't find the blue crayon." "It's right here." "I can't find the green one." "Here it is." "I don't want to color. I want to paint." "I'll get ...
- Kids and Violence7 Ways to Curb Kids' Exposure to ViolenceDid you know that U.S. children are more likely to be exposed to violence than adults? According to the U.S. Department of Justice, most American children are regularly exposed to violence — in the media, at home, in school, and in their commun...Erin Dower
- School Forms Printables"Bullying Stops Here" Printable PledgeKids can play a big role in preventing bullying. Review these six steps children and teens can take to play an active role in ending bullying, and have them sign the pledge. For more information, go to StopBullying.gov or the National Bullying Pr...
- Dealing With Bullies11 Warning Signs Your Child Is Being BulliedRecent tragic events in the news have again brought to light how serious and devastating bullying can be. Aside from physical abuse, bullying can also include verbal abuse (taunting, teasing, and name-calling), emotional abuse (making someone the...Lindsay Hutton
- StealingWhy Kids Steal -- and What to Do About ItWhy Kids Steal -- and What to Do About It Point 1: Kids steal. Little kids steal a lot—from poor impulse control. It's a developmental stage; they want it, they take it. Older kids often steal, too. Your child is probably not evil or destined ...
- AAP Says Interactive Screen Time Can Be HealthyWhen it comes to screen time and kids, it isn't all bad news. The American Academy of Pediatrics offers guidelines on how to make screen time healthy and educational.Curious World
- Parenting Style9 Surprising Ways You Might Be Over-Parenting Your ChildIs your child a coddled kid and you don't even know it? In today's society, "helicopter parenting," or the tendency for parents to hover and help their child even when they are capable of acting alone, is a growing — and perhaps detrimental —...Lindsay Hutton
- Fear of the Dark15 Books to Help Kids Overcome Their Fears*/ Childhood can bring a lot of phobias and anxiety — fear of the dark, or thunder, or monsters, or going to the doctor, or the potty, or school, or the dentist... Eek! So here's a list of great children's books to help kids cure their inner ...Erin Dower
- Anxiety DisordersHow to Prepare Your Anxious Child for the Last Day of SchoolHow to Prepare Your Anxious Child for the Last Day of School Childhood anxiety has become more pronounced and prevalent in our children. In fact, according to the Anxiety Disorders Association of America, one in eight children has an anxiety di...Rebecca Henry, M.A., LMHC
- YellingAvoiding Arguments and Power Struggles with Your KidsAvoiding Arguments and Power Struggles with Your Kids"Can I spend the night at Corey's house?" "Not tonight, I'd like you to stay home with us." "I haven't gone to Corey's in over a month." "Not tonight, please." "There's nothing to do here. It's...
- Whining6 Steps to Cure a Whiny Child"But Mo-omm!" Sound familiar? Children whine at all ages, whether you have a toddler who wants a new toy or a teen who wants to stay out an hour past curfew. Having a whiny child on your hands is sure to fray your nerves, so nip this bad habit in...Lindsay Hutton
- Parenting StyleYour Parenting Style: Are You An Extreme Parent?Your Parenting Style: Are You An Extreme Parent? Think back to when you were a child--did your parents allow you to roam free and play as you pleased? Or did they keep you within eyesight and make sure you were supervised by an adult at all times...Lindsay Hutton
- Dealing With Bullies8 Effective Ways to Bully-Proof Your ChildWith the recent suicides of several bullied kids, and new anti-bullying laws taking effect in some states, parents are understandably concerned about their children being bullied. While there is no way to control what other children say or do to ...Lindsay Hutton
- Building Self-EsteemWords to Use with Your Kids Every DayWords to Use with Your Kids Every Day You can use these everyday phrases to instill confidence, self-respect, and thoughtfulness in your children. Thank you. It's important to acknowledge your child's efforts to help you or others. You might sa...
- Fact Monster - a safe online educational space for kids
Are you worried about your kids being online? Fact Monster is a KidSafe-certified site for your kids to get homework help, play games and watch educational videos. Check it out...and give Same Game a try yourself!
sponsored contentFamily Education
- Homosexual TeensSupport for Gay Teens Facing Homophobia and BullyingSupport for Gay Teens Facing Homophobia and Bullying In the span of a few weeks in September and early October 2010, at least five gay teens in the U.S. took their own life after struggles with teasing and bullying in school. The suicides of Tyle...Erin Dower