Boy name origins & meanings
- Greek : Victorious people
What does Nicholas mean and stand for?
The name Nicholas is of Greek origin and means "people of victory." It derives from the Greek Nikolaos, a name evolved from the components nikē (victory) and laos (people). Nike is also the name of the Greek goddess of victory.
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings
- English and Dutch : from the personal name (Greek Nikolaos, from nikān ‘to conquer’ + laos ‘people’). Forms with -ch- are due to hypercorrection (compare Anthony). The name in various vernacular forms was popular among Christians throughout Europe in the Middle Ages, largely as a result of the fame of a 4th-century Lycian bishop, about whom a large number of legends grew up, and who was venerated in the Orthodox Church as well as the Catholic. In English-speaking countries, this surname is also found as an Americanized form of various Greek surnames such as Papanikolaou ‘(son of) Nicholas the priest’ and patronymics such as Nikolopoulos.
- The colonial official and revolutionary patriot Robert Carter Nicholas was from a prominent VA family on both sides. His father was a British navy surgeon who emigrated in about 1700 from Lancashire, England, to Williamsburg, VA.
Famous people with this first name
Famous people who gave their babies this name
According to Social Security Administration data, Nicholas is slowly becoming less popular after appearing in the top 10 from 2000 to 2003 and the top 50 from 2000 to 2012. Despite the slight fall, Nicholas has remained in the top 100 for the past few decades.
However, it is the 33rd most popular name on FamilyEducation.com.
According to Google search data analysis, in the last five years Nicholas was at its peak popularity in February 2018.
An Old Testament Name, Nicholas also was used in various forms of literature such as Charles Dickens's Nicholas Nickleby. The name also invokes the image of Saint Nicholas, who not only brings toys at Christmas, but is also the patron saint of schoolchildren, mechanics, sailors, scholars, brides, bakers, travelers, and Russia. Popular namesakes also include actor Nicholas Braun, author Nicholas Sparks, British actor Nicholas Briggs, singer and actor Nicholas Lachey, and actor Nicholas Robinson.
Where is it Popular?
Nicholas was searched for most often in the following states:
Nicknames for Nicholas
Pairs well with these middle names
- Literary Names
- 25 Hygge Names Perfect for Winter Babies
- 75 Medieval Names to Inspires Your Baby Name Search
- 75 Names that Mean Snow or Winter for Your Little One
- 10 Baby Names Inspired by the Holiday Season
People who like this name also like