Boy name origins & meanings
- Hebrew : Who is like God
Boy name variations
How Popular Is The Name Michael
Family name origins & meanings
- English, German, Dutch, and Jewish : from the personal name Michael, ultimately from Hebrew Micha-el ‘Who is like God?’. This was borne by various minor Biblical characters and by one of the archangels, the protector of Israel (Daniel 10:13, 12:1; Rev. 12:7). In Christian tradition, Michael was regarded as the warrior archangel, conqueror of Satan, and the personal name was correspondingly popular throughout Europe, especially in knightly and military families. In English-speaking countries, this surname is also found as an Anglicized form of several Greek surnames having Michael as their root, for example Papamichaelis ‘Michael the priest’ and patronymics such as Michaelopoulos.
Famous people with this first name
Famous people who gave their babies this name
According to Social Security Administration data, Michael has historically been one of the most popular baby boy names of this century; however, it is declining in popularity. 2018 is the first year it moved out of the top ten position. It has stayed in the top 20 since 2000.
However, it is the 55th most popular name on FamilyEducation.com.
According to Google search data analysis, in the last five years Michael was at its peak popularity in October 2018.
Although Michael has been in use since biblical times, it has been more popular than ever throughout the last couple of decades. Today, Michael is one of the most common given names for boys and has been deemed the most popular name of this century. Despite its overwhelming popularity, it is actually on the decline and fell out of the top five names for the first time in 2011 since 1949, and out of the top ten in 2018. Some of the most popular and notable Michaels throughout history and pop culture include: Michael Jordan, Michael Jackson, Michael Kors, Michael Phelps, Michael J. Fox, and more.
Where is it Popular?
Michael was searched for most often in the following states:
Nicknames for Michael
Pairs well with these middle names
- Classic Names
- The Rise of Raindrop Baby Names
- The Hottest (and Weirdest) Baby Name Trends for 2018
- How Saints' Names Became Popular
- Ethnic Variations of Names
- Choosing a Middle Name
- Pet Names as First Names
- Popular Names and their Pros and Cons
People who like this name also like