Boy name origins & meanings
- Hebrew : Comfort; wanderer
The name Noah has been derived from the biblical figure by the same name, and comes from the Babylonian word "nukhu" meaning repose or rest. It can also be derived from the Hebrew word "nahum" meaning to comfort. It is a popular Old Testament name and is widely associated with Noah's Ark.
Boy name variations
How Popular Is The Name Noah
Family name origins & meanings
- English, German, and Jewish (Sephardic and Israeli) : from the Biblical personal name Noah (see Noe).
- English : probably a variant spelling of Noar, a topographic name derived from misdivision of the Middle English phrase atten ore ‘at the bank or steep slope’ (Old English ōra).
Famous people with this first name
Famous people who gave their babies this name
According to Social Security Administration data, Noah has remained in the number two position for four years in a row, remaining in the number one position between 2013 and 2016. It has been in the top 20 names since 2006.
However, it is the 35th most popular name on FamilyEducation.com.
According to Google search data analysis, in the last five years Noah was at its peak popularity in August 2018.
While the name Noah has a rich history and has been in use since biblical times, it has been more popular than ever in the last five years. It even dethroned Jacob as the number one boy name for 13 years in a row. The name Noah may be gaining in popularity thanks to the trend of classic names for boys and the use of the name in pop culture including mentions in The Notebook, Glee, and Desperate Housewives.
Where Is It Popular?
Noah was searched for most often in the following states:
Nicknames for Noah
Pairs well with these middle names
- Why Emma Has Been The Top Baby Girl Name For Five Years in a Row
- The Rise of Raindrop Baby Names
- Top Baby Name Trends for 2017
- Old Testament Boys' Names
- Boomerang Names
- 75 Classic Boy Names
- Top 1,000 Baby Boy Names with Meanings and Origin
- First Names Starting with A-Z
People who like this name also like