75 Romanian Names (& Meanings) to Inspire Your Baby Name Search
Romania is a romantic and magical country in Eastern Europe and is home to nearly twenty million people. The mighty Danube River ends its journey in Romania, and it is home to the majestic Carpathia Mountains.
More: 75 Gypsy Names for Baby
Romania has been conquered and settled many times and has been influenced by the Greek, Roman, Goth, Byzantine, and Ottoman Empires. Russia has also played a significant role in the development and culture of Romania.
While Romania may not be the first culture you think to turn to for baby name inspiration, many popular names in the U.S. are also quite popular in Romania. A country with such a rich cultural history is the perfect place to find unique baby names for your baby boy or girl.
Whether you have Romanian heritage or love the idea of a romantic European name, we have compiled a list of 75 Romanian baby names just as majestic and beautiful as the country they come from.
Baby Girl Names
- Ada - German. Nobel or nobility.
- Adina - Hebrew. Slender or delicate.
- Adriana - Spanish. From the Adriatic.
- Agrippina - Latin. Feet first.
- Alexandra - Greek. One who comes to save the warriors. The masculine form of Alexander.
- Alina - Greek. Sunray, light.
- Ana - Hebrew. Favor or grace.
- Anamaria - Hebrew. Favored grace.
- Antonia - Latin. Priceless one.
- Beatrix - Latin. She who brings happiness.
- Camelia - Latin. Helper to the priest. A Camellia is also a flower.
- Clara - Latin. Bright and clear.
- Corina - Greek. Maiden.
- Crina - Romanian. Lily.
- Dacia - Irish. Southerner.
- Daria - Persian. Prosperous or wealthy.
- Demeter - Greek. Demeter is the Greek goddess of harvest and agriculture.
- Elena - Spanish/Italian. Bright, shining light.
- Elica - German. Nobel.
- Emilia - Latin. To strive or excel.
- Elvira - Spanish. Truth. White. Beautiful.
- Florin - French. Flower or flourishing.
- Gabriela - Spanish/Itlaian. God is my strength.
- Ilie - Slavic. The lord is my God.
- Ioan - Scottish. Purple jewel.
- Ioana - Hebrew. He that God has favored. A form of the name Hannah.
- Iolanda - Greek. Violet flower.
- Larisa - Greek. Larisa is a greek name that means citadel and is based on an ancient story in Greek mythology.
- Lavinia - Latin. Woman of Rome.
- Lulia - Swedish. The name means she is a diamond.
- Madalina - Romanian. Magnificent.
- Mircea - Slavic. Peace.
- Nadia - Russian. Hope.
- Nicolae - Romansh. Victorious people.
- Sofia - Greek. Wisdom.
Baby Boy Names
- Alexandru - Romansh. Defender of the people. It is a variation of Alexander.
- Alin - Romanian. To soothe.
- Andreea - Romansh. Strong. Manly. Courageous warrior.
- Andrei - Slavic. Man, warrior. It is the Slavic version of Andre.
- Anton - Latin. He was lost.
- Avram - Romanian. Avram is the Romanian version of Abraham. It means the father of multitudes.
- Bogdan - Slavic. God-given.
- Boian - Galacian. Solider or warrior.
- Caliban - Romanian. Black.
- Catalin - Greek. Pure.
- Cezar - Latin. Head of hair. A variation of Cesar.
- Ciprian - Greek. A Cypriot. A person from Cypress.
- Constantin - Latin. Constant. Steadfast.
- Cosmin - Romanian. Priceless, beautiful.
- Cristian - Latin. Cristian is a variation of Christian. It is a name meaning a follower of Christ.
- Dragos - Slavic. Sweet glory.
- Emil - Latin. Rival. Laborious. Eager.
- Gheorghe - Greek. Farmer. It is a variation of the name George.
- Lucian - Latin. Lucian is a Latin name that means light.
- Mihai - Romansh. It is a Romanian form of Michael.
- Octavian - Latin. Eighth.
- Sebastian - Latin. Venerable or revered.
- Sergiu - Latin. Servant, attendant.
- Stefan - German. Crown.
- Vlad - Romanian. Prince.
- Alex - Greek. Defender of man.
- Carrol - German. It means man.
- Cyprus - Greek. Cyprus is a country near Greece. The name also means an enclosed fortress.
- Dana - Greek. The most beautiful pearl.
- Ihrin - Romanian. Peace.
- Marin - Spanish. Of the sea.
- Piper - Romanian. Flute player or piper.
- Robin - English. Bright. Famed.
- Roma - Latin. A citizen of Rome.
- Sorin - Scandinavian. The Sun. A more feminine form is Sorina.
- Teegan - Irish. Beautiful, fair bard.
- Toma - Russian. Twin.
- Vanda - Italian. Warrior or wish.
- Vasilica - Romanian. Royal and kingly.
- Wodeleah - English. One from the wooded area.
Looking for more baby names and inspiration? Check out our Baby Name Center.
Considering one of these names? Pin it to save it for later: