Meaning and Origin of: Demeter
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Girl name origins & meanings:
- Greek : Goddess of the harvest
Girl name variations
Boy name origins & meanings:
- Greek : Lover of the earth
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings:
- German : occupational name for a weaver or cloth merchant, from an agent derivative of Middle High German timīt, dimīt denoting a type of cloth woven with double thread.
- Czech and Slovak : from the personal name Demeter, derived from Greek Dēmētrios (Latin Demetrius; see Demetriou).
- Hungarian : from the ecclesiastical name Demeter, or Dömötör, from Greek Dēmētrios (Latin Demetrius; see Demetriou).