The Ultimate List of Three Letter Boy Names
Looking for a short but sweet name for your baby boy? We have the ultimate list of three letter boy names, many which are trending in 2020.
Updated December 29, 2022
There are many reasons why you may want to find a shorter name for your baby boy. Perhaps, to match with a longer last name, or to make sure that their full name is not too bulky.
Jennifer Moss, founder and CEO of BabyNames.com, recommends that you make sure that “the name in its entirety is not so cumbersome” and to keep in mind names that are easy to pronounce and easy to spell.
If you are looking for something short and sweet, check out this list of three letter boy names for some inspiration.
Three Letter Boy Names that Start with A to G
- Abe - A strong three letter name, most known for “Honest Abe.”
- Ace - A popular name in the United States, Ace is a nickname for an expert, a great meaning for a little boy.
- Adi - Pronounced Ah-dee, Adi is a Hebrew word for “jewel.”
- Alf - An easy three-letter name that can have a longer nickname, such as Alfie.
- Art - Art means “bear.”
- Asa - Asa is a Hebrew name found in the bible, most commonly pronounced Ay-sah
- Ash - This is a great gender-neutral name meaning “tree.”
- Avi - Avi means “my father” in Hewbrew and “sun” in Eastern Indian languages.
- Ben - Popular across the world, Ben is a common three-letter name for a boy.
- Bob - A simple three-letter name that allows for longer nicknames, such as Bobbie or Bobby.
- Bud - An informal three letter name that is most popular in the United States.
- Cai - A unique name that has a Welsh and Swedish history.
- Cal - Cal is a great name for a boy, though informal it gives off a feeling of strength.
- Cam - A modern name that can be gender neutral, and is a great choice for a boy.
- Cid - Cid means “master” in Spanish and is a strong name for a boy.
- Cyd - Cyd is a Greek name that can be gender neutral, and a unique name for a boy.
- Dan - Dan is a biblical name that is popular in many countries, but most often found in the United States.
- Dax - Dax has gained popularity as a boy’s name recently.
- Del - Pronounced Dehl, this is a less common name that would be perfect for a boy.
- Des - Pronounced Dehz, this is a less common three-letter name that will give a boy some uniqueness.
- Don - A more classic name that allows for longer nicknames, such as Donnie or Donny.
- Eli - A three-letter name from the bible, Eli is very popular across the world and particularly high on the charts in the United States currently.
- Fox - Most commonly found in the United States or England, Fox is a surprisingly popular name for boys.
- Gil - Gil means “joy” in Hebrew, a wonderful meaning for the name of a child.
- Gus - A strong three letter name for a boy.
Three Letter Boy Names that Start with H to M
- Hal - A simple three-letter name that has held popularity in the United States.
- Ian - Currently very popular in the United States, Ian is typically pronounced either Eye-and or Ee-an.
- Jax - A perfect three-letter name that has gained recent popularity, Jax can be a form of Jackson or can be used on its own.
- Jay - A popular three-letter name that allows for longer nicknames, like Jace or Jimmy.
- Jeb - Pronounced Jehb, this is a less common name that would work well for a boy.
- Jed - Jed has a biblical origin and is most popular in England and the United States.
- Jem - A youthful name that is easy to pronounce for a little boy.
- Jim - A classic boy name popular in many countries.
- Job - A Hebrew name from the Bible, Job is popular for its biblical origin.
- Joe - An all American name, Joe is popular both as itself and as a nickname.
- Jon - Popular worldwide, Jon can be pronounced either Yon or Jahn.
- Kai - Currently very popular, Kai is Hawaiian for “ocean.”
- Kaz - A much less popular name, this would make a unique option for a boy.
- Ken - Coming from Scotland, Ken means “handsome.”
- Koa - Hawaiian for “warrior,” this is a strong name for a boy.
- Lee - A very simple, easy to pronounce, three-letter name for a boy.
- Len - Another short name that allows room for a longer nickname, such as Lennie or Lenny.
- Leo - Typically meaning “lion” or “the star.”
- Lex - Pronounced Lehks, this is a less popular name that would help a boy stand out.
- Lou - An informal but popular name across the world.
- Mac - Quick and easy, this three-letter name is especially great for boys with longer last names.
- Max - Super popular worldwide, Max is simple but a strong name for a boy.
- Mel - Made popular in the entertainment industry by both Mel Gibson and Mel Brooks.
- Moe - Not a well known name, Moe could be a unique name for your boy.
Three Letter Boy Names that Start with N to Z
- Nat - A gender-neutral name that is most popular in the United States.
- Ned - A nice three-letter name with longer nicknames, just as Eddie or Teddy.
- Nox - A Latin name meaning “night,” Nox is a unique name for a boy.
- Nye - Nye is of Welsh origin and not a name you see often.
- Ode - Known for its musical background, an ode is a lyrical stanza or poem.
- Pat - Typically meaning “noble”, this is an easy and popular three-letter name for a boy.
- Paz - Spanish for “peace," Paz is a beautiful name for a boy.
- Ray - Wonderful on its own or as a nickname, Ray is a great name for a boy.
- Rex - Rex is Latin for “king,” a strong meaning for a boy’s name.
- Rob - A nice short name that allows for longer nicknames, such as Robbie or Bobby.
- Ron - Easy to pronounce, Ron is a great name for a boy.
- Roy - Roy is of Scottish origin, but is currently popular worldwide.
- Sal - A simple and fairly common three-letter name, this is a gender-neutral option that would work well for a boy.
- Sam - Sam is a popular three-letter name worldwide, perfect on its own or as a nickname.
- Sid - Pronounced the same, but a more common spelling of Cyd.
- Stu - Pronounced Stoo, Stu is short and sweet and not very common today.
- Tad - If you’re looking for a short name for a boy, Tad is a popular American choice.
- Taj - Taj means “crown” in Arabic, and is a royal name for a little boy.
- Tay - A great gender-neutral option, Tay is an easy to pronounce short name for a boy.
- Ted - Ted is a popular name for a boy, with longer nickname options such as Teddy or Eddie.
- Teo - Pronounced Teh-o, Teo is Italian and means “divine gift,” a strong meaning for a name.
- Tim - Tim is a popular name in many countries, and allows room for longer nicknames such as Timmy.
- Tom - From Tom Sawyer to Tom Brady to Tom Cruise, there are many famous Tom’s you can name your son after.
- Wes - You won’t have to worry about misspelling or mispronunciations with the name Wes.
- Zac - Pronounced Zak, other variations include Zach, Zack and sometimes Zak.
- Zeb - If you’re looking for something unique and interesting, Zeb is a great choice.
For more baby name inspiration check out these popular baby name lists:
- Top 1000 Most Popular Baby Girl Names in the U.S.
- Top 1000 Most Popular Baby Boy Names in the U.S.
- The 100 Coolest Baby Names in the World
Considering one of these names? Pin it to save it for later:
Was this article helpful?