Girl name origins & meanings
- Old English : Ash tree; for girl or boy
Girl name variations
Boy name origins & meanings
- Old English : Ash tree; for boy or girl
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings
- English : from Middle English asche ‘ash tree’ (Old English æsc), hence a topographic name for someone living by an ash tree or a habitational name from any of the many places in southern and central England named with this word (Derbyshire, Dorset, Hampshire, Herefordshire, Kent, Surrey, Shropshire, Somerset, and elsewhere).
- In New England, Ash is commonly found for French Dufresne, with the same meaning.
- Jewish (Ashkenazic) : from an acronym for Yiddish AltSHul (seeAltschul) or AyznSHtot (see Eisenstadt).