Meaning and Origin of: Robin
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Girl name origins & meanings:
- English : Bright; famous
- English : Queen of morning
Girl name variations
Boy name origins & meanings:
- Old English : Bright; famous
- English : Famous brilliance
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings:
- Scottish, English, French, and German : from the personal name Robin, a pet form of Robert, composed of the short form Rob + the hypocoristic suffix -in.
- Slovenian : unexplained.
- Jewish (Ashkenazic) : variant of Rubin or Rabin.
- A Robin from the Burgundy region of France is documented in Quebec City in 1667, with the secondary surname <xref>Lapointe</xref>.