Boy name origins & meanings
- Greek : Valiant, courageous
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings
- French (André) : from the personal name André, French vernacular form of Andreas, also found as a Huguenot name in England in the 17th and 18th centuries.
- German : shortened form of Andreae.
- Swedish : shortened form of Andree.
- A bearer of the surname André is recorded in Quebec city in 1653; another, from Charente, is documented there in 1659. Other branches, from Normandy and Burgundy, were recorded in Montreal from 1663.