Meaning and Origin of: Drew
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Girl name origins & meanings:
- Greek : Courageous
Girl name variations
Boy name origins & meanings:
- Greek : Valiant, courageous
- Welsh : Wise
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings:
- English : from a short form of Andrew.
- English (Norman) : from the Germanic personal name Drogo, which is of uncertain origin; it is possibly akin to Old Saxon (gi)drog ‘ghost’, ‘phantom’, or with a stem meaning ‘to bear’, ‘to carry’ (Old High German tragan). Whatever its origin, the name was borne by one of the sons of Charlemagne, and was subsequently popular throughout France in the forms Dreus, Drues (oblique case Dreu, Dr(i)u), whence it was introduced to England by the Normans. Drogo de Monte Acuto (as his name appears in its Latinized form) was a companion of William the Conqueror and founder of the Montagu family, among whom the personal name Drogo was revived in the 19th century.
- English (of Norman origin) : nickname from Middle English dreue, dru, Old French dru, ‘favorite’, ‘lover’ (originally an adjective, apparently from a Gaulish word meaning ‘strong’, ‘vigorous’, ‘lively’, but influenced by the sense of the Old High German element trūt, drūt ‘dear’, ‘beloved’).
- English (of Norman origin) : habitational name from any of various places in France called Dreux, from the Gaulish tribal name Durocasses.
- English (of Norman origin) : habitational name, with the preposition de, from any of the numerous places in France named from Old French rieux ‘streams’.
- Irish : when not an adoption of the English surname, a reduced Anglicized form of Gaelic Mac an Druaidh or Ó Druaidh or Ó Draoi ‘son’ and ‘descendant of the druid’, from draoi ‘druid’, genitive druadh or draoi.