Boy name origins & meanings
- Old English : Beehive, small brook
What Does the Name Beckett Mean and Stand For?
The name Beckett originated as an Old English surname. It has roots in Ireland and Great Britain. Beckett was a popular last name since the 12th century when the English Archbishop of Canterbury popularised the name. Beckett has been becoming more popular as a first name for boys in the last decade.
Boy name variations
How Popular Is The Name Beckett
Family name origins & meanings
- English : from a diminutive of Beck 3 or, more rarely, of Beck 1.
- English : habitational name from places called Beckett in Berkshire and Devon. The former is named with Old English bēo ‘bee’ + cot ‘cottage’, ‘shelter’; the latter has as its first element the Old English personal name Bicca.
- Possibly an Americanized spelling of French Béquet (see Bequette).
Famous people who gave their babies this name
What Does the Name Beckett Mean?
The name Beckett is a boys' name of English and Irish origin, meaning "beehive" or "little brook." Originally an Old English last name, Beckett has become an increasingly popular first name in the U.S. and around the world, partially due to its association with Nobel Prize winning novelist and playwright, Samuel Beckett.
How Popular is the Name Beckett?
Beckett is the 209th most popular name in the U.S., according to Social Security Administration data. It has been gaining rapid popularity, jumping from #753 to #209 in just 13 years. It is the 3rd most popular name on FamilyEducation.com.
According to Google Search data analysis, in the last five years Beckett was at its peak popularity in August 2021.
Popularity of the Name Beckett in the United States
Beckett was searched for most often in the following states:
- New Hampshire
Famous People Named Beckett and Beckett in Pop Culture
Samuel Beckett won the Nobel Prize for literature in 1960, and is the most famous association of the last name Beckett.
Beckett has become a popular choice amongst celebrities for their children. Celebrities who have chosen this name for their kids include Conan O'Brien, Stella McCartney, Melissa Etheridge, and Malcom McDowell. Pierce Brosnan picked Beckett as the middle name for his son.
Pairs Well with These Middle Names
- The Ultimate List of 125 Boy Middle Names
- 105 Classic Literary Baby Names for Girls and Boys
- 75 Preppy Boy Names for Your Little One