Boy name origins & meanings
- Hebrew: Strong, powerful
- Latin: Place name: Rome, Italy; from Rome
- Italian: Pilgrim to Rome; romantic lover
- Shakespearean: From Romeo and Juliet
What does the name Roman mean and stand for?
The name Roman has various origins, but the most commonly referred to one is the Hebrew origin which means "strong, powerful." Roman is also used to refer to people who descended from Rome. It derives from the Latin name Romanus.
Discover more baby name meanings to learn what's behind every name.
Family name origins & meanings
- Catalan, French, English, German (also Romann), Polish, Hungarian (Román), Romanian, Ukrainian, and Belorussian : from the Latin personal name Romanus, which originally meant ‘Roman’. This name was borne by several saints, including a 7th-century bishop of Rouen.
- English, French, and Catalan : regional or ethnic name for someone from Rome or from Italy in general, or a nickname for someone who had some connection with Rome, as for example having been there on a pilgrimage. Compare Romero.
Famous people with this first name
Famous people who gave their babies this name
Popularity of the Name Roman
According to Social Security Administration data, Roman has rapidly been increasing in popularity since breaking the top 100 in 2017. For the past few years, Roman has been enjoying a spot in the top 80.
However, it is the 13th most popular name on FamilyEducation.com.
According to Google search data analysis, in the last five years, Roman was at its peak popularity in October 2018.
Roman was chosen as a name for the children of Cate Blanchett, Francis Ford Coppola, Molly Ringwald, and Debra Messing, which may be why it had a sudden boom in popularity in recent years. A romantic name, Roman invokes images of director Roman Polanski, Polish photographer Roman Vishniac, and onetime star quarterback Roman Gabriel. Other namesakes include Roman Atwood, Roman Mars, and Roman Yakub. Roman has also been chosen as a name for fictional characters in Get Out, Days of Our Lives, Scream 3, and Ocean's 11.
Where is the name Roman Popular?
Roman was searched for most often in the following states:
Nicknames for Roman
The name Roman pairs well with these middle names
The name Roman appears on these baby name lists:
- Greco-Roman Names
- Saint Names
- 75 Goddess Names for Your Little Girl
- 75 Galaxy-Inspired Names for Your Little One
- 50 Names that Mean Fire for Your Little Spark of Life