Boy name origins & meanings
- Hebrew : Strong, powerful
- Latin : Place name: Rome, Italy; from Rome
- Italian : Pilgrim to Rome; romantic lover
- Shakespearean : From Romeo and Juliet
Family name origins & meanings
- Catalan, French, English, German (also Romann), Polish, Hungarian (Román), Romanian, Ukrainian, and Belorussian : from the Latin personal name Romanus, which originally meant ‘Roman’. This name was borne by several saints, including a 7th-century bishop of Rouen.
- English, French, and Catalan : regional or ethnic name for someone from Rome or from Italy in general, or a nickname for someone who had some connection with Rome, as for example having been there on a pilgrimage. Compare Romero.