Girl name origins & meanings
- Italian : Bringer of light
Boy name origins & meanings
- Latin : Light
- English : Bringer of light
What does Luca mean and stand for?
The name Luca is of English origin and means "bringer of light". It is the Italian variation of Luke or Lucas, meaning "man from Lucania".
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings
- Italian : from the personal name Luca, from Latin Lucas.
- Southern Italian (Lucà) : possibly from a short form of Greek Loukanos, denoting an inhabitant of Lucania (see Lucas).
- Dutch : variant of Lucas.
- Hungarian : from Luca, a pet form of the personal name Lucia, feminine form of Lucio, from Latin Lucius.
Famous people who gave their babies this name
According to Social Security Administration data, Luca has very recently become popular, breaking the top 100 for the first time in 2019. It is rapidly jumping the ranks, peaking at 67 in 2020. While not as popular, its brother spelling. Luka, is also rapidly jumping the ranks.
However, it is the 9th most popular name on FamilyEducation.com.
According to Google search data analysis, in the last five years Luca was at its peak popularity in September 2018.
Luca was originally a female Italian name before blowing up as a unisex name in Europe and America. Colin Firth, Hilary Duff, Vincent d'Onofrio, Rebecca Minkoff, and Jacinda Barrett and Gabriel Macht have all chosen the name Luca for their children. It has also been chosen for characters in Doctors, The Godfather, and Astra Lost in Space.
Where is it Popular?
Luca was searched for most often in the following states:
Nicknames for Luca
Pairs well with these middle names