Meaning and Origin of: Luke
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Boy name origins & meanings:
- French : Light; laidback
- Latin : Bringer of light
- Greek : Patron saint of doctors, artists, and creatives
- English : Bringer of light
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings:
- English : from a derivative of Lucas. This was (and is) the common vernacular form of the name, being the one by which the author of the fourth Gospel is known in English.
- English : habitational name for someone from Liège in Belgium (Dutch Luik).
- North German (Lüke) : from a short form of Lüdeke; Luedecke.