80 of The Most Common Names in the World
When thinking about what the most popular names it's important to not only consider where in the world you live but also it's important to think about what was popular for that generation. We've done the research and are featuring 80 of the most common names in the world as a source of inspiration for parents considering baby names, regardless of where they live.
Updated January 8, 2023
When thinking about baby names, many parents are interested in understanding what the most common names in the world are so they can either avoid them or choose from that list depending on preference. You can find the most common names in the world over the last 100 years in the records of the Social Security Administration, although that doesn’t help to understand which top names have been the most consistently popular. The popularity of names also depends on what part of the world you live in. For example, monikers can vary greatly in the United States from what is popular in New Zealand or Northern Ireland.
How you think about a popular girl’s name or boy’s name also includes the perspective of your age and what has been popular in your generation. For example, a baby girl might have been commonly named Jennifer or Michelle if you grew up in the U.S. in the 1980s, but if you grew up in Spain during that time, Cristina or Maria would have been much more popular. National statistics for names certainly change fairly drastically throughout the decades and when considering location.
Below are 80 of the current most common names in the world and where they are popular around the world. It is beautiful to see the similarities and differences, and all of the names offer a great source of inspiration for parents considering baby names, regardless of where they live.
Boys’ Names that Start with A to I
- Ahmed: Middle East
- Alessandro: Italy
- Alexander: Iceland and Russia
- Ali: Middle East
- Ambrose: Rising in popularity!
- Amias: Rising in popularity!
- Archie: United States
- Benjamin: Canada
- Daniel: Northern Ireland
- Do Yoon: Korea
- Elijah: A traditionally popular name with Jewish families in the United States
- Ermias: Rising in popularity!
- Francesco: Italy
- Gabriel: France
- Hiroshi: Japan
- Hugo: Spain
- Ivan: Russia
Boys’ Names that Start with J to Z
- Jack: Northern Ireland and New Zealand
- Jackson: United States, England, and Wales
- Jakob: Norway
- James: Northern Ireland
- Jayden: United States
- Jose: Brazil and Mexico
- Jules: France
- Junior: South Africa
- Kyro: Rising in popularity!
- Leonardo: Italy
- Liam: United States
- Lucas: United States, Sweden, and the Netherlands
- Mason: United States
- Mateo: United States for Spanish speaking families
- Muhammad or Mohammed or Mohammad: The Mohammed spelling is one of the most popular names in India and in the Middle East.
- Noah: United States and New Zealand and Denmark
- Nozomi: Japan
- Oliver: Australia and New Zealand
- Raphael: France
- Santiago: South America
- Sekani: Rising in popularity!
- Wei: China
- William: United States and Sweden
Girls’ Names that Start with A to I
- Alice: Sweden
- Amahle: South Africa
- Amelia: The Emilia spelling is one of the most popular names in Iceland.
- Amoura: Rising in popularity!
- Aurora: Italy
- Ava: United States
- Ayesha: Middle East
- Charlotte: Australia and New Zealand
- Daria: Russia
- Emani: Rising in popularity!
- Emily: Northern Ireland
- Emika: Japan
- Emma: United States and France
- Fatemeh: Middle East
- Giulia: Italy
- Grace: Northern Ireland
- Ha Yoon: Korea
- Harper: New Zealand
- Isabella: United States
- Isla: New Zealand
Girls’ Names that Start with J to Z
- Jade: France
- Kokoro: Japan
- Layla: Middle East
- Li: China
- Louise: France
- Lucia: Spain
- Maria: Brazil and Mexico
- Mariam: Middle East
- Mia: United States
- Navy: Rising in popularity!
- Olivia: Northern Ireland and United States and Canada
- Precious: South Africa
- Princess: South Africa
- Saanvi: India
- Sofie: Norway
- Sophia or Sofia: The Sofia spelling is one of the most popular names in both Italy, Russia, and Denmark.
- Tamar: Middle East
- Theodora: Rising in popularity!
- Yaritza: Rising in popularity!
- Zahra: Middle East
For more baby name inspiration check out these popular baby name lists:
- Top 1000 Most Popular Baby Girl Names in the U.S.
- Top 1000 Most Popular Baby Boy Names in the U.S.
- The 100 Coolest Baby Names in the World
Considering one of these names? Pin it to save it for later:
Was this article helpful?