75 Rainbow Baby Names With Sentimental Meanings
The phrase “rainbow baby” comes from the idea of a rainbow appearing in the sky after a storm, or after a dark and turbulent time. A "rainbow baby" is defined as a baby born after the miscarriage, stillbirth, or death of an infant from natural causes. Rainbow babies are extra special and so deeply loved even before they are born. Here are our favorite rainbow baby names for girls, boys, and gender-neutral options.
These dark, gloomy times of a pandemic bring the entire world to a halt, and many expecting parents are stuck within their houses without any other choice. Especially, parents who have gone through a pregnancy loss earlier, the anxiety could be hitting them like a truck. Angels and rainbows take a new meaning after the loss of a pregnancy. Perhaps, these babies are seen as rainbows in the cloud of their family who had to deal with the loss of their sibling to miscarriage or stillbirth.
So, here is our list of 75 rainbow names for your baby! These names may not directly mean rainbow but many other aspects that a colorful rainbow denotes like joy, life, miracles, hope, victory, success, fortune, etc.
Rainbow Baby Names for Girls
- Adora - Latin origin meaning "adored"
- Ailsa - Scottish origin meaning "victory"
- Allegra- Italian origin meaning "joyous"
- Amitola- Native American for “rainbow”
- Amy - Old French origin meaning “beloved”
- Angela- Latin origin meaning “angelic”
- Asha- This name has a two-fold meaning. “Hope” in Sanskrit and “life” in Swahili
- Aveline - French origin meaning “desired”
- Beatrix - Latin/Dutch origin meaning "she who brings happiness; blessed”
- Carys - Welsh origin meaning "love"
- Celeste - Latin origin meaning "heavenly"
- Celia - Latin origin meaning “heavenly”
- Danna- It’s a modern variation for Donna or Daniella.Danish origin meaning "gift"
- Eliana - Hebrew, Greek, Latin origin meaning “my God has answered”
- Evangeline - Greek origin meaning “bearer of good news”
- Felicia- Spanish, Latin origin meaning “lucky”
- Felicity - Latin origin meaning “good fortune”
- Florence - English feminine name meaning “flourishing”
- Godiva - English origin meaning “God’s gift”
- Gwyneth - Welsh girl’s name meaning “blessed”
- Hannah - Hebrew origin meaning “grace”
- Hope - English origin
- Iris - Greek origin meaning “rainbow”
- Imani- Arabic origin meaning “faith”
- Ivana - Slavic origin meaning “God is gracious”
- Jenica - Romanian origin meaning “God’s gracious gift”
- Joana - Latin origin meaning “God is gracious”
- Leora - Hebrew/ Greek origin meaning “light”
- Liora - Hebrew/Greek origin meaning “light”
- Miriam - Hebrew origin meaning “drop of the sea, bitter, or beloved”
- Nadia - Russian origin meaning “hope”
- Odelia - Hebrew origin meaning “I will praise the Lord”
- Pandora- Greek origin meaning “all gifted”
- Raphaela- Italian origin meaning “God has healed”
- Shae - It a variant of Shea that means “stately”
- Shauna- Hebrew origin meaning “God is gracious”
- Sian- Welsh variation of Jane meaning “God’s gracious gift”
- Tikvah - Hebrew girl’s name meaning “hope”
- Vera - Russian origin meaning “faith”. Also a Latin word for “true”
- Victoria - Latin origin meaning “victorious”
- Vita - latin origin meaning “life”
Rainbow Baby Names for Boys
- Anthony - Roman family name meaning “priceless”
- Arman- A persian name meaning “wish” or “hope”
- Asher- Hebrew origin meaning “fortunate, blessed, happy one”
- Barack - Swahili origin name meaning “blessing”
- Beau- Pronounced like ‘bow’ like rain-bow. It’s a french origin name meaning “handsome”
- Benedict - Latin origin meaning “blessed”
- Bennett- Derived from Benedict, this one also means “blessed”
- Cadeau- Old french origin meaning “strong fighter”
- Cedric- Celtic origin meaning “bounty”
- Diarra -West African origin meaning “gift”
- Donatello - Italian origin meaning “to give”
- Donatien - Latin origin meaning “given by God”
- Enfys- It’s a Welsh name for rainbow
- Ezra- Hebrew origin meaning “help”
- Felix- Latin origin meaning “happy, fortunate”
- Gerard- German origin name meaning “brave”
- Grant- As in to be ‘grant’-ed another life
- Hari- Sanskrit origin hindu name meaning “one who takes away (evil)”
- Ian- Scottish origin meaning “the Lord is gracious”
- Isadore- Greek origin meanin meaning “gift of Isis”
- Isaiah- Hebrew origin meaning “salvation of the Lord”
- Ivan- Russian origin meaning “God is gracious”
- Kalyb- Hebrew origin meaning “devotion to God”. Variation of Caleb.
- Luca- Derived from the Latin name Lucas, this one means “bringer of light”
- Micah- Hebrew origin meaning “who is like the Lord”
- Milo- German origin meaning “soldier”
- Nathaniel- Hebrew origin meaning “the gift of God”
- Samuel- Hebrew origin meaning “told by God”
- Von- German origin meaning “son of”
Gender-Neutral Rainbow Baby Names
- Atlas- A greek mythological name meaning “enduring”
- Joie - The name means “Joy” with a french flair.
- Jesse- This stems from the Hebrew name Yishai which means gift. It can be more made unisex by spelling it Jessie
- Mirai- This Basque name meaning “miracle” is appropriate for your miracle baby
- Shay - This name is a transcription of the Hebrew word “shai” meaning “gift”
Looking for more baby names and inspiration? Check out our Baby Name Center.
Considering one of these names? Pin it to save it for later: