Girl name origins & meanings
- Old English : Faith, Desire of Fulfilment
What Does Hope Mean and Stand For?
The name Hope comes from Old English, meaning faith. It has roots in England and was popularized in the 17th century by the Puritans who liked the name due to its virtuous nature.
Family name origins & meanings
- Scottish and English : topographic name for someone who lived in a small, enclosed valley, Middle English hop(e), or a habitational name from a place named with this word, of which there are examples in North Yorkshire, Lancashire, Derbyshire, Cheshire, Shropshire, Clwyd, Devon, Herefordshire, Kent, Sussex, and elsewhere. The surname is most common in Scotland and northern England, and it is also established in Ireland.
- Norwegian : habitational name from any of several farmsteads, notably in Hordaland, so named from Old Norse hóp ‘narrow bay’.
What Does the Name Hope Mean?
The name Hope is a girls' name of Old English origin, meaning "faith" or "desire of fulfilment." Hope was first used as a Christian name by the Puritans in the 17th century, owing to its virtuous nature. This classic girls' name has retained its popularity through to the 21st century in the U.S. and across the globe.
How Popular is the Name Hope?
Hope is the #204 most popular name in the U.S., according to Social Security Administration data. It has been concisely popular, remaining around the 200 mark since the year 2000. However, it is the 10th most popular name on FamilyEducation.com.
According to Google search data analysis, in the last five years Hope was at its peak popularity in September 2020.
Popularity of the Name Hope in the United States
Hope was searched for most often in the following states:
- Rhode Island
- North Carolina
- District of Columbia
Famous People Named Hope and Hope in Pop Culture
Famous Hopes include American World Cup soccer champion Hope Solo and actress Hope Davis.
In pop culture and entertainment, Hope is a popular name. American sitcom Raising Hope was about a single father raising a child named Hope, Hope van Dyne is a character from the Marvel Universe starring in the Ant Man films, and Hope is the name of a character from the early 2000s Disney cartoon Kim Possible.
Variations and Nicknames for Hope
Pairs Well with These Middle Names
- 75 Baby Names That Mean Hope to Inspire Your Baby Search
- 75 Rainbow Baby Names With Sentimental Meanings
- The Ultimate List of Buddhist Names