75 Baby Names That Mean Hope to Inspire Your Baby Name Search
There are plenty of baby name options out there, and you’ll likely find many appearing on the top name lists for boys and girls, but going for something with an extra special meaning is always a good idea. Hope and faith hold many together in the darkest of times, and luckily there are plenty of baby name options for those feeling inspired.
More: The Ultimate Guide to Choosing a Middle Name
If you’re looking for a list of names which evoke hope, this is the ultimate collection.
Baby Girl Names that Mean Hope
- Aileen - What’s more hopeful than a “bright, shining light?”
- Ashlyn - Though this name is a bit more modern than others on the list, the meaning makes it a winner.
- Ayla - In Turkish, this name means “halo of light around the moon.”
- Aurora - What’s more hopeful than a new day? While it’s the name of a Disney princess, it also means “dawn.”
- Charise - An alternate form of Charis, this name means “grace.”
- Charity - A fairly obvious pick!
- Chloe - New growth on plants in the springtime is always inspirational, which is what this name means in Greek.
- Claire - Meaning “young green shoot,” this choice signifies new life.
- Daisy - Derived from an old English word meaning “day’s eye.”
- Dawn - Both the start of a new day and the start of a new life are exciting!
- Dream - This name means exactly what the word is, and is synonymous with hope.
- Elena - No doubt your little one will be a “bright shining light.”
- Ellie - Like Elena, this diminutive version of Eleanor means “bright shining one.”
- Faith - Another name that means exactly what the word is.
- Helen - Like Elena and Ellie, this has a similar meaning.
- Holly - Though this could be a gender-neutral pick, it’s most common for girls.
- Hope - This one should be obvious!
- Iris - Though this is a plant, it also means “rainbow” in Greek!
- Kiara - A variation on Chiara or Ciara, which means “the first ray of sun."
- Lucia - The feminine version of Lucius, meaning “light.”
- Margot - This name with French origins means “pearl.”
- May - Reminiscent of the sweet springtime month.
- Megan - Like Margot, this also means “pearl.”
- Nadia - The base of this name has French origins and means “hope.”
- Nadine - Another play on Nadia!
- Soleil - What shows off a sunny disposition better than a name which means “sun.”
- Stella - Perfect for your shining “star!”
- Vera - This name which means “faith” has Russian origins.
- Violet - A vibrant and positive name, just like the color!
- Yara - Sweet like a “small butterfly!”
Baby Boy Names that Mean Hope
- Aaron - Though the origins of this name have been debated, the meaning is certain.
- Andrew - A male variation of Anastasia, which means “resurrection.”
- Asher - A unique pick that means “a gift of hope.”
- Barack - Not only is it the name of former President Barack Obama, but it’s also a name with powerful meaning!
- Benedict - A masculine name meaning “blessed.”
- Brian - Though the origins of this name aren’t entirely clear, it does mean “strong and virtuous.”
- Callahan - This choice with Irish origins means “bright-headed.”
- Cruz - This name of Spanish origin means “cross.”
- Dillon - An alternative spelling of Dylan, meaning “loyal.”
- Emmanuel - This means “God is with us.”
- Ethan - A pick with Hebrew origins which means firm and strong.
- Griffin - This functions as a first name and a surname!
- Javier - Meaning “bright” with Spanish origins.
- Jesse - A choice with Hebrew origins that means “a gift of hope.”
- Ken - Though your first thought might be about Barbie, Ken actually means “healthy and strong.”
- Lucius - Like Lucia, this means “light.”
- Matthan - This unique choice means “hope of the Lord.”
- Matthew - A classic name that means “gift of God.”
- Meyer - Another first name and surname, which means “bringer of light.”
- Nathaniel - Meaning “God has given” in Hebrew.
- Neo - Like a fresh start, Neo means “new.”
- Olivier - Representative of the biblical olive tree, which symbolizes fruitfulness and beauty.
- Robert - One of the most popular boys’ names begins with the letter R.
- Saul - For the little boy you’ve “prayed for.”
- Theo - Like Matthew, this also means “gift of God.”
- Truman - This English name means “faithful one.”
- Von - This name of Norse origins translates to “hope.”
- Xavier - Nothing like a fresh start and a “new house.”
- Zane - This fun take on John means “God is gracious.”
- Zeke - The diminutive version of Ezekiel, which makes a great first name or nickname!
Gender-Neutral Names That Mean Hope
- Amal - A perfectly neutral name that means “hope” or “inspiration.”
- Beacon - This meaning is just what you’d expect, it means “signal light.”
- Bodhi - This Sanskrit name translates to “enlightenment.”
- Day - No explanation needed!
- Deene - This unique pick has French origins and means “hope.”
- Dylan - Raising a future surfer? Dylan means “son of the sea,” but can be a neutral option!
- Flynn - This choice has German and Irish origins and meaning.
- Kit - A funky pick that sounds fresh for your little boy or girl!
- Merrill - This unisex option means “sea bright.”
- Nova - Not only is this an astrological term, it’s also a great name!
- Phoenix - Though this name means “dark red,” the bird is also a symbol of regrowth!
- Robin - A solid choice for baby boys and girls which means “bright fame.”
- Senna - A unique pick that means “brightness.”
- Sol - Perfectly reflective of the sunshine they’ll bring into your life!
- True - Take a page from Khloé Kardashian’s book with this unique pick.
For more baby name inspiration check out these popular baby name lists:
- Top 1000 Most Popular Baby Girl Names in the U.S.
- Top 1000 Most Popular Baby Boy Names in the U.S.
- The 100 Coolest Baby Names in the World
Considering one of these names? Pin it to save it for later:
Was this article helpful?
Based in Los Angeles, Jacqueline is a freelance writer and social media strategist.