Girl name origins & meanings
- Latin : New
What does Nova mean and stand for?
The name Nova is of Latin origin and means "new". It's also an astronomical term for stars that brighten quickly before fading.
Family name origins & meanings
- Asturian-Leonese and Spanish : habitational name from any of the towns called Nova in Albacete or Asturies.
- Galician : literally ‘new’, probably a habitational name from a place named Vila Nova.
- Italian : unexplained.
Nova is the number fifty-one most popular girls name in the US, according to 2019 Social Security Administration data. It has been rising in popularity, jumping from 886 in 2000 to 136 in 2016 and then 51 in 2019.
However, it is the 3rd most popular name on FamilyEducation.com.
According to Google search data analysis, in the last five years Nova was at its peak popularity in April 2020.
Before being used as a name, Nova was the astronomical term for a star that suddenly increases in brightness before fading. The name is perhaps best known for Nova Pilbeam, a British actress in early Alfred Hitchcock films. It has also been chosen by parents on both Teen Mom and Teen Mom 2.
Where is it Popular?
Nova was searched for most often in the following states:
Pairs well with these middle names
- 75 Car Names for Girls
- Our Favorite Nature Names to Inspire Your Baby Name Search
- 75 Native American Names for Your Little One
- 25 Celestial Names for Baby
- 75 Unique Unisex Names for Your Little Bundle of Joy