75 Native American Baby Names
If you're looking to give your little one a Native-American name, you're in luck. Here are the top names for boys and girls, along with some gender-neutral options. You can also find out the meanings and origins of each name.
A Native American name is a beautiful way to honor Native American heritage as well as the things that are important within the culture. If nature, wildlife, respect, and spirit are valued by your family, there are many Native American names to consider that are special and unique.
Choosing a name for your baby is a significant decision, and it is a way to begin your little one’s life with meaning and an emphasis on what your family values.
Here are 75 Native American names to consider for your little one, including Native American girl names, Native American boy names and gender-neutral Native American names with name meanings and origins.
Native American Girl Names with Meanings and Origins
- Aiyana - This name means “eternal blossom.”
- Aponi - This name means “butterfly.”
- Catori - This name means “spirit.”
- Dyani - This name means “deer.”
- Elu - This is a Zuni name that means “beautiful.”
- Enola - This name means “solitary.”
- Halona - This name means “happy fortune.”
- Istas - This name means “snow” for your winter baby.
- Kasa - This name means “dressed in furs.”
- Kateri - A beautiful Mohawk version of Catherine. The name Kateri can also mean "pure."
- Kimi - This Native American name means “secret.”
- Lomasi - This name means “pretty flower.”
- Maji - This name means “leave.”
- Mitena - This girl's name means “coming moon or born under a new moon.”
- Na’estse - This means “one” in Cheyenne.
- Odina - An Algonquin name meaning “mountain.”
- Orenda - An Iroquois name that means “magic power.”
- Pavati - This Hopi name means “clear water.”
- Sakari - This Inuktitut name means “sweet.”
- Soyala - A Hopi name that means “time of the winter solstice.”
- Tallulah - A Choctaw name meaning “leaping water.”
- Tayen - This means “new moon.”
- Tiva - This Hopi name means “dance.”
- Urika - An Omaha name meaning “useful to all.”
- Winona - This Sioux name means “first daughter.”
Native American Boy Names with Meanings and Origins
- Adriel - A Navajo name meaning “symbol of skill.”
- Ahanu - This Algonquin name means “he laughs.”
- Alo - This name means “one who is a spiritual guide.”
- Anakin - This means “soldier” and is also a Star Wars name.
- Calian - This boy's name means “warrior of life.”
- Dakota - This means “friendly companion.”
- Denali - This name means “great one.”
- Hopi - This means “peaceful person.”
- Jacy - A more casual name meaning “the moon.”
- Jalen - This name means “flute.”
- Kai - A Navajo name meaning “willow tree.”
- Kele - This Hopi name means “sparrow” or "hawk."
- Kosumi - This Native American boy's name means “fishes for salmon with a spear.”
- Mato - This Mandan name means “bear.”
- Mika - A Sioux name meaning “intelligent raccoon.”
- Nahele - A Hawaiian tribe name that means “forest.”
- Nodin - This means “wind.”
- Nayati - This means “he who wrestles.”
- Nova - This boy's name means “chases butterfly.”
- Nuka - This name means “younger brother" or "younger sibling."
- Takoda - A Sioux name meaning “friend to everyone.”
- Tauri - This Laguna name means “star.”
- Tokala - This Dakota name means “fox.”
- Wayra - This means “gust of wind.”
- Wiyot - This means “river name.”
Native American Gender-Neutral Names with Meanings and Origins
- Ameyalli - This Nahuatl name means “fountain.”
- Awena - This Native American name means “sunrise.”
- Chardon - This means “sand bar.”
- Chetan - This Sioux name means “hawk.”
- Chimalus - This means “bluebird.”
- Citali - This Nahuatl name means “star.”
- Citana - This means “star in the sky.”
- Esadowa - This animal-inspired name means “wolves.”
- Kabecka - This name means “twin.”
- Kansas - This means “people of the south wind.”
- Kanza - This Kaw name means “wind people,” "wise" or "hidden treasure."
- Karuk - This means “upriver people.”
- Kentucky - This means “a land of tomorrow.”
- Kimeya - This means “singing throat.”
- Kishil - This means “night.”
- Meztli - Pronounced mays-lee, it means “moon.”
- Pala - This means “like a guardian.”
- Pillan - This means “the god of stormy weather.”
- Tarlo - A name that means “cub of the bear.”
- Teneca - This name means “one with self-restraint."
- Saloso - This means “cry of the wild goose.”
- Seneca - This is the name of a tribe that is part of the Iroquois Confederacy. It means “people of the standing rock.”
- Shawney - An Algonquin name derivative of Shawnee.
- Shayan - This means “unintelligible speakers" or “people of a different language."
- Shikoba - This Choctaw name means “ little feather.”
For more baby name inspiration check out these popular baby name lists:
- Top 1000 Most Popular Baby Girl Names in the U.S.
- Top 1000 Most Popular Baby Boy Names in the U.S.
- The 100 Coolest Baby Names in the World
Considering one of these names? Pin it to save it for later:
Was this article helpful?