Boy name origins & meanings
- Hebrew : Asked for
- Latin : The sun
- Hebrew : Peaceful; perfect
Family name origins & meanings
- Spanish and Portuguese : nickname ((del) Sol) for someone with a cheerful disposition, from sol ‘sun’ (Latin sol), but more likely from the female personal name Sol, of the same meaning and derivation or possibly in some cases from the Marian epithet (María del Sol). This name was frequent among Jews in Spain.
- Catalan and southern French (Occitan) : nickname from Catalan, Occitan sol ‘calm’.
- Catalan (Sòl) and southern French (Occitan) : habitational name from any of the places called Sòl in Catalonia, or Sol in southern France, as for example Le Sol in Cantal and Lot.
- Jewish : when not of Spanish origin (see 1 above), from Poland: metonymic occupational name for a salt merchant, from Polish sól ‘salt’.