Girl name origins & meanings
- Latin: Moon
What does Luna mean and stand for?
Luna is a girl's name that means moon in Italian. Luna is also the name of the Roman goddess of the moon. It is derived straight from the Latin word for moon. It is also often used as a surname, often with a prefix, such as de Luna or Deluna
Discover more baby name meanings to learn what's behind every name.
Family name origins & meanings
- Spanish: habitational name from places called Luna in Zaragoza, Araba, and Lleón provinces.
- Jewish (Sephardic): from the female personal name Luna (Spanish luna ‘moon’).
Famous people who gave their babies this name
Popularity of the Name Luna
According to Social Security Administration data, Luna has risen from obscurity over the last 10 years, and only jumped in to the top 1,000 names in 2003 and 889. It quickly rose to the top 100 at position 77 in 2016.
However, it is the 17th most popular name on FamilyEducation.com.
According to Google search data analysis, in the last five years, Luna was at its peak popularity in September 2017.
Luna has only recently become popular again as a name for girls. It saw popularity back in the 1880s; however, it only peaked on the chart in the top 500 names and was nowhere near as popular as it is today. Its extreme popularity can partly be attributed to the Harry Potter character Luna Lovegood. However, many believe it has risen in popularity most likely because of the use of the name by many celebrity parents, most notably Chrissy Teigen and John Legend.
Where is the Name Luna Popular?
Luna pairs well with these middle names
The name Luna appears on these baby name lists:
- Top Baby Name Trends for 2017
- 15 Harry Potter Baby Names Only True Fans Will Understand
- The Rise of Raindrop Baby Names
- The Top Baby Name Trends You Can Expect To See in 2019
- The Spookiest Vampire and Witch Names for 2019