Girl name origins & meanings
- Old English : Hazel tree
What does the name Hazel mean and stand for?
The name Hazel is of English origin and means "hazel tree." Historically, a wand of hazel symbolized protection and authority.
Discover more baby name meanings to learn what's behind every name.
Girl name variations
Family name origins & meanings
- English : topographic name for someone who lived near a hazelnut tree or grove, Middle English hasel, hesel, or perhaps a habitational name from a minor place named with this word such as Heazille Barton or Heazle Farm in Devon, or from Hessle in East Yorkshire and West Yorkshire, both named from Old English hæsel ‘hazel’ (influenced by Old Norse hesli).
- French : possibly a topographic name a diminutive of Old French hase, haise ‘hedge’.
Famous people who gave their babies this name
Popularity of the Name Hazel
According to Social Security Administration data, Hazel has been consistently popular, remaining in the top 50 since 2017, and has jumped the ranks dramatically after going from 893 in 2000 to 33 in 2019.
However, it is the 10th most popular name on FamilyEducation.com.
According to Google search data analysis, in the last five years Isabella was at its peak popularity in October 2017.
Originally a word with a more natural meaning, Hazel gained some popularity after being used by Julia Roberts for one of her twins in 2004. At first, many people considered the name another "nutty" celebrity pick, but it quickly became more frequent with time. Recently, John Krasinki and Emily Blunt chose the name for their daughter.
Where is the Name Hazel Popular?
Hazel was searched for most often in the following states:
Nicknames for Hazel
Hazel pairs well with these middle names
The name Hazel appears on these baby name lists:
- The Spookiest Vampire and Witch Names for 2020
- Our Favorite Nature Names to Inspire Your Baby Name Search
- The Ultimate List of Victorian Girl Names
- 100 Hipster Baby Names that are Effortlessly Cool
- 50 Sassy Girl Names