Girl name origins & meanings
- Hebrew: God's gift
Girl name variations
Boy name origins & meanings
- Hebrew : God's gift
Boy name variations
How Popular Is The Name Jesse
Family name origins & meanings
- North German: from a short form of the personal name Jesper, a Low German form of Kaspar.
- South German: from a reduced form of the personal name Johannes (see John).
- Eastern German (of Slavic origin): topographic name from Czech jes(en) 'ash tree'.
- English: a short form of Jessup.
- French: from Old French jaisse 'chick pea'; probably a metonymic occupational name for a grower of chick peas or a topographic name.
Famous people who gave their babies this name
What Does the Name Jesse Mean?
The name Jesse is a biblical name of Hebrew origin, meaning "God's gift." In the bible, Jesse was the shepherd father of King David.
Jesse is a gender-neutral name. However, it tends to be most popular for boys. Despite its similarities, the name Jesse is unrelated in origin to the name Jessica.
How Popular is the Name Jesse?
Jesse is the 203rd most popular name in the U.S., according to Social Security Administration data. However, it ranks 27th on FamilyEducation.com.
According to Google search data analysis, the name Jesse was most popular in 2005 when it ranked #89.
Popularity of the Name Jesse in the United States
Jesse was searched for most often in the following states:
- District of Columbia
Famous People Named Jesse and Jesse in Pop Culture
Famous Jesse's include actor Jesse Eisenberg, singer Jesse McCartney, pro-wrestler turned governor Jesse Ventura, and American civil rights leader Jesse Jackson.
Jesse Pinkman is one of the lead characters of the popular 2008 drama series, Breaking Bad.