Boy name origins & meanings
- Hebrew : Fortunate
What does Asher mean and stand for?
The name Asher is of Hebrew origin and means "fortunate, blessed, happy one." It is derived from the Hebrew word osher, meaning “happiness.”
Boy name variations
How Popular Is The Name Asher
Family name origins & meanings
- English (mainly Sussex and Hampshire) : topographic name denoting someone dwelling by an ash tree, from Middle English asche ‘ash tree’ + the habitational suffix -er.
- Jewish : from the Hebrew personal name Asher ‘blessed’.
- Americanized spelling of German Ascher.
Famous people who gave their babies this name
According to Social Security Administration data, Asher has been consistently popular, falling slightly from the top 50, which it had previously been in since 2000.
However, it is the 11th most popular name on FamilyEducation.com.
According to Google search data analysis, in the last five years Isabella was at its peak popularity in April 2020.
Asher was the name of one of Jacob's twelve sons in The Bible. It is a very popular Old Testament name choice, and has been on the rise for a few decades. The name was given to the sons of TV newswoman Campbell Brown and actress Embeth Davidtz. It is also a popular character in both TV shows Gossip Girl and How to Get Away with Murder.
Where is it Popular?
Asher was searched for most often in the following states:
Nicknames for Asher
Pairs well with these middle names
- 25 Hygge Names Perfect for Your Winter Baby
- Successful Baby Names: The Ultimate Guide
- The Ultimate List of Boy Middle Names
- 101 Baby Names That Mean Blessing
- The World Tour of Names
- Top 1,000 Baby Boy Names with Meanings and Origin
- 1,005 Baby Boy Names That Start with A
People who like this name also like