Boy name origins & meanings
- English : Headman, mayor
- Hebrew : One who brightens
- Latin : Great
- German : A farmer
Family name origins & meanings
- German and Dutch : from Middle High German meier, a status name for a steward, bailiff, or overseer, which later came to be used also to denote a tenant farmer, which is normally the sense in the many compound surnames formed with this term as a second element. Originally it denoted a village headman (ultimately from Latinmāior ‘greater’, ‘superior’).
- Jewish (Ashkenazic) : from the Yiddish personal name Meyer (from Hebrew Meir‘enlightener’, a derivative of Hebrew or ‘light’).
- Irish : Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Meidhir, frommeidhir ‘mirth’.
- Danish : variant spelling ofMeier 3.