Meaning and Origin of: Meyer
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Boy name origins & meanings:
- English : Headman, mayor
- Hebrew : One who brightens
- Latin : Great
- German : A farmer
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings:
- German and Dutch : from Middle High German meier, a status name for a steward, bailiff, or overseer, which later came to be used also to denote a tenant farmer, which is normally the sense in the many compound surnames formed with this term as a second element. Originally it denoted a village headman (ultimately from Latin māior ‘greater’, ‘superior’).
- Jewish (Ashkenazic) : from the Yiddish personal name Meyer (from Hebrew Meir ‘enlightener’, a derivative of Hebrew or ‘light’).
- Irish : Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Meidhir, from meidhir ‘mirth’.
- Danish : variant spelling of Meier 3.