Boy name origins & meanings
- English : Headman, mayor
- Hebrew : One who brightens
- Latin : Great
Family name origins & meanings
- English (Lancashire) : variant spelling of Mayer 1.
- Spanish and Jewish (Sephardic) : nickname for an older man or a distinguishing epithet for the elder of two bearers of the same personal name, from Spanish mayor ‘older’ (Latin maior (natus), literally ‘greater (by birth)’).
- Spanish and Jewish (Sephardic) : occupational or status name, from major ‘governor’, ‘chief’.
- Catalan : variant spelling of Major.
- Jewish (Ashkenazic) : variant of Meyer 2.