Boy name origins & meanings
- Latin : Greater; military rank
Family name origins & meanings
- English : from the Norman personal name Malg(i)er, Maug(i)er, composed of the Germanic elements madal ‘council’ + gār, gēer ‘spear’. The surname is now also established in Ulster.
- Hungarian : from a shortened form of majorosgazda (see Majoros), or a derivative of German Meyer 1.
- Polish, Czech, and Slovak : from the military rank major (derived from Latin maior ‘greater’), a word related to English mayor and the German surname Meyer.
- Catalan and southern French (Occitan) : from major ‘major’ (Latin maior ‘greater’), denoting a prominent or important person or the first-born son of a family.
- Jewish (eastern Ashkenazic) : variant of Meyer 2.