Boy name origins & meanings
- English : Beautiful sea; good friend; lover of the sea
Family name origins & meanings
- English : from the Middle English personal name Merewine(Old English Maerwin, from mær ‘fame’ + win‘friend’).
- English : from the Old English personal nameMerefinn, derived from Old Norse Mora-Finnr.
- English : from the Old English personal name Mǣrwynn, composed of the elements mǣr ‘famous’, ‘renowned’ + wynn‘joy’.
- English : from the Welsh personal name Merfyn, Mervyn, composed of the Old Welsh elements mer, which probably means ‘marrow’, + myn ‘eminent’.
- English : Mathew Marvin was one of the founders of Hartford, CT, (coming from Cambridge, MA, with Thomas Hooker) in 1635.