Boy name origins & meanings
- Greek : Crown
What does Steven mean and stand for?
The name Steven is of Greek origin and means "crown." It is the Medieval English variant of Stephen.
Boy name variations
How Popular Is The Name Steven
Family name origins & meanings
- Scottish, English, Dutch, and North German : from the personal name Steven, a vernacular form of Latin Stephanus, Greek Stephanos ‘crown’. This was a popular name throughout Christendom in the Middle Ages, having been borne by the first Christian martyr, stoned to death at Jerusalem three years after the death of Christ. In English the variant spelling Stephen is almost equally common.
Famous people with this first name
Famous people who gave their babies this name
What Does the Name Steven Mean?
The name Steven means "crown" and has become much more popular than its original spelling, Stephen.
How Popular is the Name Steven?
Steven is the number 235 most popular boys name in the US, according to 2021 Social Security Administration data. Though still fairly popular, Steven has been slowly decreasing in popularity after dropping out of the top 100 in 2008 - the first time in 70 years!
Steven is a classic name that has been on the charts for decades. It's brother Stephen was once more popular, but the modern Steve has slowly started to surpass both.
However, it is the 25th most popular name on FamilyEducation.com.
Popularity of the Name Steven in the United States
According to Google search data analysis, in the last five years Steven was at its peak popularity in September 2019.
Steven was searched for most often in the following states:
- Rhode Island
- District of Columbia
- New Jersey
Famous People Named Steven and Steven in Pop Culture
As the name Steven becomes more and more popular, so does its impact on pop culture and those who bear the name. Among some of the most notable namesakes are director Steven Spielberg, director Steven Soderbergh, Apple founder Steven (Steve) Jobs, Nobel prize winner Steven Chu, Aerosmith singer Steven Tyler, and of course, singer Steven "Randy" Jackson. With namesakes like these, it's no surprise that the name Steven has appeared in That 70s Show, Poltergeist, Captain America, and Cyberbully.
Pairs Well with These Middle Names
- 50 Baby Names that Mean King to Inspire Your Search
- Western Names from the Big (and Small) Screen
- 106 Adorable Alliterative Baby Names that You'll Want to Steal
- 75 Car Names for Girls that are Sporty and Sweet