50 Names That Mean King to Inspire Your Baby Name Search
If you would like your child to possess positive, kingly qualities such as strong leadership skills, bravery, and a kind and just heart, consider a name that means “king.”
Throughout history, nations have risen and fallen depending upon their leaders’ strength. Being a good king is not easy, even if being a gluttonous and lazy one is. Benevolent kings must possess both powerful qualities and gentle, loving ones. They must also devote themselves fully to their country, in a truly selfless way. The citizens count on their leader to protect and provide for them and to make good decisions.
The names we give our children do make a difference in how they see themselves and how others see them. If you think about it, the word you probably hear and read more than any other throughout your lifetime is your own name. It has to make an impact on you to some extent. Obviously, a name is not the only factor or even the strongest factor in determining your child’s future and success, but you might as well choose one that encompasses the qualities you hope they grow to possess.
All parents want their children to grow up to be both strong and just. Even if they won’t likely become actual kings, they can still exhibit kingly qualities. And who knows, they may just run for office one day with the right name!
There are more names that mean king than you would probably think, from all over the world and throughout history. Consider choosing one that pays homage to your own ancestors, or select a boy name that just sounds regal.
Here are 50 names that mean king for you to choose from:
- Aalam - Urdu, means “king.”
- Abban - Irish, means “little abbott.”
- Adelio - Spanish, means “father of the little prince.”
- Ara - Armenian, means “king.”
- Baron - Old English, means “young warrior." Historically a Baron lived in a castle and ruled over a plot of land under the King.
- Basil - Greek, means “royal” or “kingly.”
- Brennus - Celtic, means “king," “prince,” or “raven.”
- Cadeyrn - Welsh, means “battle king.”
- Conrad - German, means “bold ruler.”
- Conri - Irish Gaelic, means “wolf king.”
- Cyril - Greek, means “lord” or “master.”
- Darian - Persian, means “one with kingly traits.”
- Donovan - Irish, means “chieftain” or “dark-haired leader.”
- Delroy - French, means “of the king.”
- Emyr - Welsh, means “king” or “lord.”
- Eric - Scandanavian, means “eternal ruler.”
- Frederick - German, means “peaceful ruler.”
- Hansraj - Sanskrit, means “king of swans.”
- Heinrich - German, means “home of the king.”
- Idris - Greek, means “like a king.”
- Kgosi - Tswana, means “king” or “chief.”
- Kian - Persian, means "king” or “foundation.”
- King - English, means king!
- Kingsley - Old English, means “king’s meadow.”
- Leroy - French, means “the king.”
- Longwang - Chinese, means “dragon king.”
- Malik - Arabic, means “king” or “sovereign.”
- Minos - Greek, Minos was a powerful king in Greek Mythology.
- Prince - Latin, means “chief” or “son of a king.”
- Rana - Sanskrit, means “king.”
- Rajan - Sanskrit, means “ruler.”
- Rajesh - Sanskrit, means “ruler of the kings.”
- Reagan - Irish, means “little king.”
- Regulus - Ancient Roman, means “prince” or “lIttle king.”
- Rey - Spanish, means “king.”
- Rex - Latin, means “king.”
- Rian - Irish, means, “little king.”
- Rory - Ancient Celtic, means “red king.”
- Roy - Old English, means “king.”
- Rhodri - Welsh, means “wheel king.”
- Ruaidhri - Irish, means “red king.”
- Steven - Old English, means “garland” or “crown.”
- Sultan - Arabic, means “ruler.”
- Richard - German, means “powerful ruler.”
- Sargon - Biblical Hebrew, means “king.”
- Shahjahan - Urdu, means “king of the world.”
- Sigourney - French, means “daring king.”
- Vercingetorix - Ancient Celtic, means “king over warriors." Vercingetorix led the Gauls against Julius Caesar when the Romans tried to conquer them.
- Viceroy - Old English, means “ruler who represents the king.”
- Vladimir - Slavic, means “renowned prince” or “universal ruler.”
Looking for more baby names and inspiration? Check out our Baby Name Center.
Considering one of these names? Pin it to save it for later: