Boy name origins & meanings
- French : Wise; bold; courageous
- Spanish : King
- English : Knowledgeable tutor
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings
- Spanish and southern French (Occitan) : from Spanish and Old French rey ‘king’ (from Latin rex, genitive regis), which could have been applied any of in numerous ways: it may have denoted someone in the service of a king; it may have been from the title of someone in a brotherhood; or a nickname for someone who behaved in a regal fashion or who had earned the title in some contest of skill or by presiding over festivities.
- English : variant spelling of Ray 1, cognate with 1.
- German : from a short form of a Germanic personal name formed with ragin ‘counsel’.
- German : nickname for a leader of dancing or singing, from Middle Low German rei(e) ‘(line) dance’, ‘(satirical) song’.