Boy name origins & meanings
- Old English : Cliff
What does Nash mean and stand for?
The name Nash is of Old English origin and means "cliff." Mathematician John Nash gave the surname some popularity; however, it was in the mid-1990s that the name received attention as a given name, as the TV show Nash Bridges began to air.
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings
- English : topographic name for someone who lived by an ash tree, a variant of Ash by misdivision of Middle English atten ash ‘at the ash’, or a habitational name from any of the many places in England and Wales named Nash, from this phrase, as for example Nash in Buckinghamshire, Herefordshire, or Shropshire. The name was established from an early date in Wales and Ireland.
- Jewish : of unknown origin, possibly an Americanized form of one or more like-sounding Jewish surnames.
- The surname Nash was taken to Ireland from England or Wales by a family who established themselves in Co. Kerry in the 13th century, during the second wave of Anglo-Norman settlement.
Famous people who gave their babies this name
What Does the Name Nash Mean?
The name Nash is an English name meaning "by the ash tree." The name has since gained popularity since first appearing on the popular names list in 1997.
How Popular is the Name Nash?
Nash is the number 233 most popular boys name in the US, according to 2021 Social Security Administration data. The name has rapidly been gaining popularity for the last few decades. It's jumped quite a few ranks since 2004, where it was ranked 991.
However, it is the 11th most popular name on FamilyEducation.com.
Popularity of the Name Nash in the United States
According to Google search data analysis, in the last five years Nash was at its peak popularity in September 2020.
Nash was searched for most often in the following states:
- North Carolina
Famous People Named Nash and Nash in Pop Culture
Originally a popular surname, Nash has made quite the impression as a current given name. Some notable namesakes include musician Nash Overstreet, musician Nash Chambers, and former Vine star Nash Grier. Many celebrities have also gravitated to this trend, with the name being chosen by actor Jimmy McNichol, baseball player Nick Punto, baseball player Evan Longoria, and TV chef Cat Cora. Though the name hasn't been too popular in pop culture, it does invoke images of Nashville, TN.
Pairs Well with These Middle Names
- 75 Car Names for Boys
- 100 Poetic Baby Names that are Sweeter than a Sonnet
- 75 Southern Boy Names
- 75 Tree Baby Names (and Meanings) to Inspire Your Search
- 100 Modern Names for a 21st Century Baby