100 Southern Boy Names for True Country Boys
These southern boy names are perfect your little southern gentleman. Choose a cute boy name inspired by the South!
Updated December 15, 2022
Are you considering a Southern name for your Southern baby boy? These names have come back as both trendy and unique names for boys. There are so many adorable baby boy names inspired by all things Southern!
Southerners might also decide to use one of these names when considering middle names. Check out our list of 100 Southern baby names for boys, and before you know it, you’ll find the perfect Southern boy name for the little one with a heart of Dixie.
Popular Southern Boy Names and Meanings
Want a name that’s fit for a true southern gentleman? If you’re looking for inspiration, you can reflect upon Southern state and city names, favorite books and movies that take place in the South, old-fashioned Southern references, and more.
Southern Boy Names that Start with A to E
- Albert: This old southern boy's name has Old German origins and means ‘bright’ and ‘famous’
- Alden: This name means old, wise friend.
- Ambrose: An old-fashioned baby boy name of Greek origin meaning “immortal”
- Atticus: Inspired by To Kill a Mockingbird, Atticus means belonging to Attica, a region in Athens, Greece.
- Augustus: This charming southern baby name meaning “from Attica” gained popularity in the past few years from the character Augustus “Gus” Waters in The Fault in Our Stars.
- Austin: A Southern city, Austin means great and magnificent.
- Barton: An English boy's name meaning ‘from the barley settlement’
- Beau: It means beautiful in French.
- Bennett: This traditional boy name comes from Old English and means “blessed.”
- Bradley: Bradley means broad meadow.
- Brooks: It means residing near a stream or brook.
- Buck: For a true southern farm boy, this name from Old English means “male deer.”
- Butch: For fans of cowboy classics and Old Western films with Butch Cassidy this is the perfect name choice.
- Calvin: A perfect name for many babies as it means little, bald one.
- Camden: Camden means winding valley.
- Cash: This cool southern boy's name means hallow. It’s perfect for fans of country crooner Johnny Cash.
- Cassidy: This Irish name means “clever” or “curly-haired.” It can also work as a Butch Cassidy tribute.
- Clyde: Clyde comes from a Scottish river name.
- Colt: It means young, frisky horse.
- Colton: Meaning “from the coal town”
- Curtis: A true southern gentleman name, this southern boy name means “polite”
- Dallas: A Scottish name meaning the meadow dwelling.
- Dawson: A Welsh name meaning son of David.
- Davis: Davis means beloved.
- Drew: Drew means wise.
- Dixon: A boy name that means “son of Richard”
- Duke: A name inspired by the Southern university, it means leader or son of Marmaduke.
- Emerson: It literally means Emery’s son.
- Emmett: Of Hebrew, German, and English origin, it means universal.
- Everett: Everett means brave, strong boar.
Southern Boy Names that Start with F to J
- Finch: Another To Kill a Mockingbird name, it is the name of a bird and also means to swindle.
- Finn: A reference to Huckleberry Finn, it means white or fair.
- Ford: Another cute and uncommon boy name, this one means ‘river crossing’ and is of English origin
- Franklin: A cute southern name with Middle English roots. This name means ‘free landholder’
- Frederick: This name means peaceful ruler.
- Fulton: This unique boy’s name is of English origin and means ‘fields of the village’
- Garth: A familiar name to country music fans because of superstar country artist Garth Brooks, this southern male name means “keeper of the garden” or “protector.”
- Grady: This Irish boy’s name means “illustrious” or “noble”
- Grey: This Old English name means grey-haired.
- Greer: This southern name is gender-neutral and can be used for a boy or girl. Greer means watchful or swift and has Scottish origins.
- Grover: This sweet name means a grove of trees.
- Harley: Harley means hare’s meadow.
- Harper: It means harp player.
- Harris: It means son of Harry or home ruler.
- Harrison: This name also means son of Harry.
- Hastings: It means son of the austere man.
- Hayes: Hayes means hedged area.
- Henry: Henry means ruler of the home.
- Houston: A Southern city, it means settlement on the hill.
- Huck: Inspired by Huck Finn, it means bog.
- Jackson: It means God has been gracious.
- James: It means supplanter.
- Jameson: This English boy's name means ‘son of James’ and is also a popular whiskey name.
- Jasper: Of Persian origin, it means treasurer.
- Jebediah: This old-timey boy's name oozes southern sensibilities. Jebediah comes from Hebrew and means “beloved friends.”
- Jefferson: This formal English boy’s name translates to “son of Jeffery.”
- Jones: Jones means God is gracious.
- Julep: A Persian name meaning rosewater.
Southern Boy Names that Start with K to Q
- Keaton: It means place of hawks.
- Kit: This trendy southern name has Greek origins and means “bearer of Christ.”
- Knox: It means a round-topped hill.
- Lee: This Civil War era name has American roots and means “a clearing or meadow.”
- Levi: If you think of blue jeans and southern boys as a pair, Levi might be a popular name choice. This denim-themed name originally comes from Hebrew and means ‘“oined together or attached.”
- Leon: Leon means lion.
- Malcolm: It means a devotee of Saint Columba.
- Marvin: It means marrow and eminent.
- Mason: Mason means one who works with stone.
- Mercer: Mercer means merchant.
- Montgomery: An Old French name meaning Gomeric’s hill.
- Nash: It means by the ash tree.
- Nathan: Nathan means gift of god.
- Ned: It means guardian of the riches.
- Nolan: Nolan means champion.
- Otis: It means wealth or son of Otto.
- Parker: It means park keeper.
- Percy: A diminutive form of Percival.
- Presley: It means priest’s meadow, but it could also be a tribute to Elvis.
- Price: It means son of Rhys or enthusiasm.
- Quinn: Quinn means counsel and is also a popular unisex name.
Southern Boy Names that Start with R to Z
- Reed: It means red-haired.
- Remy: This name means oarsman.
- Rhett: It means advice.
- Rufus: Rufus also means red-haired.
- Sawyer: Sawyer means woodcutter.
- Sellers: It means the merchant or employed in the cellar.
- Sutton: It literally means Southern settlement.
- Tennessee: It means gathering place and is of Native American origin.
- Thaddeus: This name means courageous heart.
- Theo: Theo means brave people.
- Tierney: It means lord or master.
- Todd: Todd means fox.
- Truman: It means loyal one.
- Tucker: Tucker means all-heart.
- Vaughn: Vaughn means small, little.
- Vernon: It means a place of alders.
- Walker: It means a fuller of cloth or an inspector of a certain part of the forest.
- Wells: Wells means spring.
- Wesley: It means western meadow.
- Westen: Meaning “from the western town”
- Wyatt: It means hardy, brave, and strong.
For more baby name inspiration check out these popular baby name lists:
- Top 1000 Most Popular Baby Boy Names in the U.S.
- Top 1000 Most Popular Baby Girl Names in the U.S.
- The 100 Coolest Baby Names in the World
Love these baby names for blessing? Pin this list to save it for later:
Was this article helpful?