Boy name origins & meanings
- Old English : Hedged area
What does Hayes mean and stand for?
The name Hayes is of English origin and means "hedged area." It was originally a surname that became popular after US President Rutherford B. Hayes.
Boy name variations
How Popular Is The Name Hayes
Family name origins & meanings
- Irish : reduced Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó hAodha ‘descendant of Aodh’, a personal name meaning ‘fire’ (compare McCoy). In some cases, especially in County Wexford, the surname is of English origin (see below), having been taken to Ireland by the Normans.
- English : habitational name from any of various places, for example in Devon and Worcestershire, so called from the plural of Middle English hay ‘enclosure’ (see Hay 1), or a topographic name from the same word.
- English : habitational name from any of various places, for example in Dorset, Greater London (formerly in Kent and Middlesex), and Worcestershire, so called from Old English hǣse ‘brushwood’, or a topographic name from the same word.
- English : patronymic from Hay 3.
- French : variant (plural) of Haye 3.
- Jewish (Ashkenazic) : metronymic from Yiddish name Khaye ‘life’ + the Yiddish possessive suffix -s.
- U.S. President Rutherford B. Hayes (1822–1893), born in Delaware, OH, was descended from old New England families on both sides. Through the paternal line he was descended from George Hayes, who emigrated from Scotland in 1680 and settled in Windsor, CT.
Famous people who gave their babies this name
What Does the Name Hayes Mean?
Hayes is a nature name that means "hedged area."
How Popular is the Name Hayes?
Hayes is the number 229 most popular boys name in the US, according to 2021 Social Security Administration data. Since appearing on the charts in 2009, Hayes are jumped up the ranks dramatically.
However, it is the 7th most popular name on FamilyEducation.com.
Popularity of the Name Hayes in the United States
According to Google search data analysis, in the last five years Hayes was at its peak popularity in August 2021.
Hayes was searched for most often in the following states:
- District of Columbia
Famous People Named Hayes and Hayes in Pop Culture
Originally a surname, actor Hayes MacArthur is one of the only notable namesakes. However, recently popular, the name has been chosen by many celebrity parents such as actor Kevin Costner, actress Jessica Alba and Cash Warren, singers Maren Morris and Ryan Hurd, and baseball player Jim Edmonds. Hayes has also made appearances in The West Wing, Bones, The Romantics, and Heart of Dixie.
Pairs Well with These Middle Names
- 75 Southern Boy Names
- 75 Unique Unisex Names for Your Little Bundle of Joy
- Names from the American Revolution
- 75 Plant Inspired Names
- 75 Southern Girl Names