The Weirdest Baby Names That Have Trended Throughout History
Baby-names like Peter and Sarah have been around in one form or another for centuries. Some name trends fade in and out of style, but the staples are always there. You'd never bat an eyelash or do a double-take if you met a Joe or an Elizabeth, but what about a Nixie? This adorable moniker is a German-inspired name that means water nymph or mermaid.
One unique baby boy name we stumbled upon and loved was Alucard. Not familiar? It is the name of the son of Dracula from the video game series Castlevania.
If you're looking for unique baby names, then search no further. We have put together a list of 50 unusual names; some may even say weird names which have popped up throughout time. Some of these names are celebrity baby names, and some are uncommon baby names that are no longer popular.
Whether these names are trending or not, we have a name list of some unique names that are sure to provide some name inspiration!
Baby Girl Names
- Aintzane - Spanish, glorious
- Apple - This name became trendy when actress Gwyneth Paltrow named her daughter this in 2004
- Aroha - Moari, love
- Belmira - Portuguese, a beautiful sight
- Bushra - Arabic, good news, or omen
- Daenerys - Mother of Dragons, a character from Game of Thrones
- Diamanta - Greek, diamond
- Finola - Irish, white shoulder
- Hippolyta - Name of the Amazon Queen, a character in Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream
- Hirune - Basque, trinity
- Ibtisam - Arabic, smile
- Keeva - Irish, beautiful, gentle
- Lerke - Scandanavian, lark
- Lourdes - Basque origin means craggy slope, the name Madonna gave to her daughter.
- Mariola - Polish, bitter, untamed
- Nevena - Slavic, marigold
- Noabelle - Hebrew/French - combines the names Noah and Belle.
- Nixie - German, water nymph, or mermaid
- Ondina - Latin, little wave
- Puma - a type of cat, Erykah Badu's daughter
- Qadira - Arabic, powerful, able
- Sansa - Eldest daughter of the Stark family on Game of Thrones
- Solway - Swedish, strength of the sun
- Tamsey - English, from the river Thames
- Xylona - Greek, forest girl, a girl from the woods
Baby Boy Names
- Alucard - Son of Dracula, from the video game series Castlevania
- Audio Science - The name actress Shannon Sossamon gave her son.
- Breccan - Irish, speckled or freckled
- Bronx - American place name, a borough of New York, name of Ashlee Simpson and Pete Wentz's son
- Boaz - Hebrew, swiftness
- Chaos - Stems from the Greek word abyss, but modern connotation means havoc and instability
- Credence - Latin, belief or acceptance that something is true. Used in the Harry Potter prequel Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- D' Artagnan - Character from the famous story of the Three Musketeers. It refers to someone from Artagnan.
- Denim - Made famous by Toni Braxton's son, could make a great middle name because denim goes with everything!
- Idris - Arabic/Welsh, lord studious
- Kashmir - Indian name, desiccated land
- Khiing - Presumably a version of the name King, which is an English and Scottish name. The original meaning was a tribal leader.
- Koy - Mixed data on where this name originated from or what the meaning is. Some say it means shy or modest, and others implied it stems from astrology.
- Onix - Greek, an alternate spelling to Onyx which means black stone. This spelling refers to a rock in the Pokemon game.
- Ozias - Greek, salvation
- Peregrine - Latin, traveler, or pilgrim
- Pilot Inspektor - Actor Jason Lee named his son this one-of-a-kind name.
- Qaani - Arabic, one who is content with themselves
- Racer - A name that implies speed. One of Robert Rodriguez's sons. He also has Rocket, Rebel, and Rogue.
- Raiden - Japanese, thunder and lightning
- Sailor - German origin, means boatman. Has become a unisex name.
- Xandro - Greek, man's defender
- York - English name for a city in northern England
- Zaire - African name for the congo river, it means the river that swallows all rivers.
- Zeppelin - German origin, name of the airships invented in 1900. Also popular among rock fans because of Led Zeppelin.
Looking for more baby names and inspiration? Check out our Baby Name Center.