Meaning and Origin of: Thor
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Boy name origins & meanings:
- Old Norse : Thunder
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings:
- Scandinavian (mainly Swedish) : from a personal name, a short form of any of the various Scandinavian personal names containing the first element Thor (Old Norse þórr), the name of the god of thunder in Scandinavian mythology.
- English : from the Anglo-Scandinavian name þōr, þūr, probably short forms of Old Norse compound names in þór-, þúr- (see 1).
- German : habitational name for someone who lived by the gates of a town or a metonymic occupational name for someone responsible for guarding them, from Middle High German tor ‘gate’ (modern German Tor). Compare Portmann.
- German : nickname from Middle Low German dor, Middle High German tor ‘fool’; also ‘deaf person’.
- Southeast Asian : unexplained.