76 Nature Baby Names Inspired by Mountains and Valleys
These nature names for girls and boys are inspired by mountains, valleys, rivers, and the great outdoors. Choose your nature-inspired baby name.
Updated July 22, 2022
You may want to give your new baby an earthy name if you love nature and the outdoors. Consider finding your inspiration in mountains and valleys.
Choosing the perfect name for your new bundle of joy can be fun and exciting, but it’s often overwhelming. There are so many options. Choosing a beautiful name with a unique meaning will stay with your child throughout their lifetime.
If your family loves to go on hikes, enjoy picnics, or camp together, naming your baby after the elements of nature is a special way to pay homage to these family memories.
Nature-inspired names for your baby boy include Aspen, Everest, and Forrest. Girl names include Autumn, Hazel, and Sierra.
If you love nature-inspired baby names but prefer to use more traditional first names, you can also use these ideas for your baby’s middle name.
Check out our list of 75 nature baby names inspired by mountains and valleys.
Nature-Inspired Baby Girl Names and Meanings
Here are our favorite girl names inspired by the natural world.
- Autumn - English, the season
- Bia - Phou Bia is the highest mountain in Laos.
- Brook - English, the body of water
- Coral - English, the marine invertebrate
- Fergana - A fertile valley in Central Asia
- Glena - Gaelic, valley
- Hana - A sacred valley
- Hazel - English- the tree
- Iris - English- the flower
- Ivy - English - the vine
- Juniper - English, the tree
- Katrina - The highest peak in Egypt; Scottish, pure
- Laurel - English, the tree
- Lily - English, the flower, purity
- Margherita - The third-highest mountain peak in Africa; Italian, daisy, pearl
- Maurienne - A French valley
- Meadow - English, an open grassland
- Montana - Latin, mountainous
- Odina - Algonquian (Native American), mountain
- Olympia - The Olympic Mountains are a range in the United States
- Prairie - English a vast open grassland
- Savannah - English, a large, grassy plain
- Sequoia - English, the tree, and national park
- Sierra - Spanish, mountain range
- Skadi - Old Norse, Norse goddess associated with winter and mountains
- Valerie - Sounds like “valley”; Latin origin, to be strong
- Valley - English, a low space between two or more mountains or mountain ranges
- Valtellina - An Italian valley in the Lombardi region
- Victoria - A peak on Hong Kong Island; Latin, victory
- Whitney - A mountain in California in the Sequoia National Park; Old English, white island
- Wren - English, the bird
Nature-Inspired Boy Names and Meanings
Choose a name from our list of baby boy names inspired by mountains and valleys.
- Alder - Old English, old
- Arbor - Latin, tree
- Asher - Ash tree; Hebrew, happy, blessed
- Aspen - English, the tree
- Banks - Land by water; Old English, one who lives by or on the banks
- Brent - Celtic, hill
- Brandon - Old English, hill
- Bradley - Old English, clearing in the woods
- Bryn - Welsh, hill
- Dale - A valley; Old English, one who lives near the dale
- Denver - The capital city of Colorado, a mountainous state
- Doruk - Persian, mountaintop
- Elgon - An extinct volcano in Africa on the border of Uganda and Kenya
- Everest - The highest mountain above sea level in the world, part of the Indian mountain range, the Himalayas
- Garfield - Old English, triangular field
- Giri - Sanskrit, mountain
- Fernando - A mountain ridge in New Mexico
- Ford - English, a shallow place in a river where one can walk across
- Fjord - English, a glaciated valley, a low space between two mountains where water flows through, often frozen
- Forrest - English, forest dweller, one who lives in the natural world
- Heath - British English, an uncultivated open area
- Harun - Arabic, mountain
- Joaquin - The San Joaquin Valley is located in central California
- Kai - Estonian, pure; Northern European, Hawaiian, sea; Chinese, victory
- Lake - English, a large body of water surrounded by land on all sides
- Linden - German, linden tree
- McKinley - Mount McKinley is the highest mountain peak in North America
- Mikeno - Mount Mikeno is an extinct volcano in the Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Oakley - Old English, oak tree clearing
- Percival - Mount Percival is located in New Hampshire; Arthurian Romance, the protagonist in “Percival, the Story of the Grail”
- Phoenix - Greek Mythology, Egyptian Mythology, an immortal bird
- Reed - English origin, tall, slender grasses that grow in wetlands; Old English, red
- Rocky - The Rocky Mountains are the largest mountain system in North America; German, to rest
- Roman - Germanic, Rome-dweller, helper, and protector
- Rowan - Old Norse, the rowan tree; Irish, red
- Vulcan - Latin, volcano
- Wilder - Old English, wild, untamed
- Yama - Japanese, mountain
Nature-Inspired Gender-Neutral Names and Meanings
These nature-inspired baby names will work for both boys and girls. If you prefer unisex names that are gender neutral, consider this list.
- Canyon - English, the landform, a deep gorge, often with a river running through it
- Cedar - English, cedar tree
- Eden - Hebrew, pleasure, delight
- Olive - English, the fruit
- Rain - English, rain, precipitation
- Raven - English, the bird, a large, all-black bird that feeds on carrion
- Sage - English, the herb, wise
Considering one of these names for your baby? Pin it for later:
Was this article helpful?