50 Names Meaning Water For Your Little One
Referencing nature when choosing baby names is a popular choice, and various names that mean water can certainly be inspiring. Water is one of the most important components for sustaining life and is worshipped in many cultures. Water can be calm, cool, strong, and life-giving. If you want to honor nature by representing water, there are many ways to name your child.
Various cultures have words that mean water that would make lovely choices for a baby name. Whether you are drawing inspiration from your family heritage, biblical references, or just a name that sounds right to you, the choices are endless. We’ve included baby boy names, girl names, and gender-neutral options to get you started on your hunt for the perfect name.
Girl Names That Mean Water
- Anahita - this Persian name refers to the water goddess.
- Aqua - typically used for baby girls, Aqua is of Latin origin and means Water or Sea Blue.
- Cascade - typically used for baby girls, this French name means waterfall.
- Cordelia - a Celtic name meaning Daughter of the Sea.
- Doris - a female name meaning gift of the ocean, Doris is of Greek origin.
- Laguna - Italian for pond or lake, Laguna makes a pretty girl’s name.
- Maren - of Latin origin, this baby girl’s name means Sea.
- Marina - typically used for baby girls, this Latin name means Of the Sea.
- Maya - of English origin, this female name means Water.
- Mira - in Latin Mira can refer to the Ocean, a pretty name for a baby girl.
- Misty - this American name is typically used for girls and means covered in mist.
- Morwenna - a Welsh girl’s name meaning waves of the sea.
- Nahla - of Arabic origin, this female name means a drink of water.
- Nixie - typically used for baby girls, this German name means Water Sprite.
- Talia - a female name of Hebrew origins, Talia means dew from heaven.
- Tallulah - this Native American name is used for females and means Leaping Water.
Boy Names That Mean Water
- Aalto - This boy’s name is of Finnish origin and means wave.
- Adrian - of Latin origin, this boy’s name means sea or water.
- Beck - typically used for baby boys, Beck is of English origin and means brook or stream.
- Bourne - of English origin, this boy’s name means one who lives near a stream.
- Calder - of Scottish origin, this baby boy means the wild water.
- Cove - in reference to a small coastal inlet, Cove is typically used for little boys.
- Deniz - of Turkish origin, Deniz is a male name meaning waves.
- Douglas - this Scottish male name means Black Water.
- Ford - typically used for baby boys, this name means River Crossing and is of English origin.
- Hudson - typically used for baby boys, Hudson is in reference to the Hudson River.
- Hurley - of Irish origin, Hurley means sea tide and is typically used for males.
- Irving - another Scottish male name meaning Green River or Sea Friend.
- Kano - meaning the god of water, Kano has both Japanese and African origins.
- Kent - typically a male name referring to the River Kent.
- Lincoln - typically used for baby boys, Lincoln is of English origin and means From the Lake Settlement.
- Loch - pronounced “lock” this Gaelic name means lake and is typically used for boys.
- Maxwell - a male name of Scottish origin meaning great stream.
- Moses - this Egyptian name means delivered from water and is typically used for boys.
- Rio - used for baby boys, this Spanish name means River.
- Wade - typically used for baby boys, this name can refer to wading in the water.
Gender-Neutral Names That Mean Water
- Bay - a gender-neutral name, Bay is of English origin and means a small sea inlet.
- Brooke - a gender-neutral name of English origin meaning small stream.
- Caspian - a gender-neutral name that references the Caspian Sea.
- Dylan - this gender-neutral name is of Welsh origin and means Son of the Sea.
- Jordan - a gender-neutral name choice, this Hebrew name means to flow down.
- Kai - a gender-neutral name choice, Kai is of Hawaiian origin and means Ocean.
- Kendall - a gender-neutral name choice, Kendall is of English origin and means Valley of the River of Kent.
- Lynn - this gender-neutral Irish name means from the Lake.
- Moana - a gender-neutral name of Hawaiian origin means Ocean or Sea.
- Nile - a gender-neutral name of English origin referring to the River Nile.
- Ocean - a gender-neutral option, this nature name refers to a direct body of water.
- Rain - a gender-neutral name choice referring to a direct source of water.
- Ren - a gender-neutral name that refers to the water lily in Japanese.
- River - a gender-neutral name choice based on the body of water.
Looking for more baby names and inspiration? Check out our Baby Name Center.
Considering one of these names? Pin it to save it for later: