Girl name origins & meanings
- Gaelic : Merry, filled with mirth
- Hebrew : Light
- Latin : Wonder
- Spanish : Behold
- Hebrew : Bitter
- Latin : Extraordinary; to be admired; beautiful
Girl name variations
Family name origins & meanings
- Galician and Portuguese : probably a habitational name from any of the places in Galicia and Portugal named Mira.
- Catalan : of uncertain origin; possibly from the Arabic personal name Amira, or a derivative of Mir.
- Italian : apparently from the personal name Mira, feminine form of Miro, from Late Latin Mirus and Mira, respectively, from Latin mirus ‘wonderful’, ‘marvellous’.
- Czech and Polish : from a pet form of any of various personal names formed with the element mir ‘peace’, ‘quiet’, ‘esteem’ (see Mir).