Girl name origins & meanings
- Hebrew : Gift of God's favor
- Dutch : Bringer of peace; hope
What does Anna mean and stand for?
The name Anna is of Hebrew origin and means "grace". The Latin form of Hannah, Anna derives from the Hebrew name chanan.
Girl name variations
Family name origins & meanings
- Of uncertain origin. It occurs occasionally as a surname in England and Ireland, Italy, and Hungary, most probably being derived from the female personal name Anna, which comes through Latin and Greek from the Biblical Hebrew name Hanna.
Famous people with this first name
Famous people who gave their babies this name
According to Social Security Administration data, Anna has been consistently popular, only now falling after being in the top 50 from 2000 to 2016. Despite the recent fall, Anna has remained in the top 100 since 2000.
However, it is the 49th most popular name on FamilyEducation.com.
According to Google search data analysis, in the last five years Isabella was at its peak popularity in August 2017.
Anna was embraced by Europeans due to Saint Anna, the Virgin Mary's mother. It has consistently been embraced since, moving across seas to America. The name erupted after Tolstoy's classic Anna Karenina, and continued as Elsa's sister, Anna, became popular with the release of Frozen. Celebrities with the name include: Anna Kendrick, Anna Friel and Anna Paquin.
Where is it Popular?
Anna was searched for most often in the following states:
Nicknames for Anna
Pairs well with these middle names
- Norwegian Last Names
- New Testament Girls' Names
- German First Names
- Unusual Presidential Names
- The Rise of Raindrop Baby Names
People who like this name also like