Girl name origins & meanings
- Hebrew: God's oath; dedicated
- Hebrew: Consecrated to God
What does Elizabeth mean and stand for?
The name Elizabeth has religious roots and origins in Hebrew. Elizabeth can have several meanings including "My God is an oath", "My God is abundance", and "pledged to God".
Discover more baby name meanings to learn what's behind every name.
Girl name variations
Family name origins & meanings
- Americanized spelling of the Dutch family name Elisabeth, from the female personal name derived from the Biblical name meaning ‘God is my oath’. The name was particularly popular in the Middle Ages, notably after the canonization of Elisabeth, Duchess of Thuringia around 1230.
Famous people with this first name
Famous people who gave their babies this name
Popularity of the Name Elizabeth
According to Social Security Administration data, Elizabeth is a classic baby girl name that has been consistently popular for years and years, remaining in the top 20 names since 2000. It peaked at position nine and was at its lowest ranking at position 14 in 2014.
However, it is the 34th most popular name on FamilyEducation.com.
According to Google search data analysis, in the last five years, Elizabeth was at its peak popularity from December 2018 through January 2019.
The name Elizabeth has been used as far back as the Old Testament and has remained consistently popular for the last 100 years. Its popularity can be attributed to the royal family, specifically Queen Elizabeth II, its Biblical roots and history, and even to actresses like Elizabeth Taylor and Elizabeth Banks.
Where is the name Elizabeth popular?
Nicknames for Elizabeth
Elizabeth pairs well with these middle names
Elizabeth appears on these baby name lists:
- Early American Names
- Our Top 10 Predictions For The Royal Baby Name
- British Royal Names
- Variations on a (Classical) Theme
- Southern Names
- Pet Names as First Names
- Classic Names
- How Saints' Names Became Popular
- Ethnic Variations of Names
- European Royal Names
- Botanical Names
- Traditional Names