75 Wizard Names to Inspire Your Baby Name Search
If you're a Harry Potter fanatic like me, chances are at some point you've considered naming your baby to be after one of your favorite wizards or witches from JK Rowling's Wizarding World. While ultimately I did not name either of my children a magically inspired name, I did have a cat named Maggie in honor of Maggie Smith's character, Minerva McGonagall.
Of course, wizarding baby names extend beyond just Harry and his pals.There is Gandalf from Lord of the Rings, Merlin the famous wizard from the legend of King Arthur and The Sword in the Stone, or even Prospero from William Shakespeare's The Tempest.
If you've got a little witch on the way instead of a wizard, you may want to consider the name Selene who was the goddess of the moon in Greek mythology, or Morgan in honor of Morgan le Fay, the enchantress of Avalon who was Merlin's arch-nemesis.
No matter your Hogwarts House or wizarding affiliations, we have some witch and warlock names for you! We have put together a list of 75 wizard boy names, girl names, and gender-neutral names that are sure to cast a spell on you and enchant anyone your future baby meets!
Boy Wizard Names
- Abraham - A Hebrew name for an Egyptian mage or magician
- Agahnim - The evil wizard and main villain from the famous video game The Legend of Zelda
- Alatar - A Tolkien wizard. The name means Darkness Slayer
- Alastair - Name of one of the most famous Harry Potter Aurors, Alastor Moody. It is a Greek name for "he who does not forget."
- Albus - Albus Dumbledore, famous headmaster of Hogwarts and mentor to Harry. Also, the name Harry gives his second son. The name means white and bright.
- Blaise - A French name that means lisping. Blaise was the tutor and biographer of the famous Merlin, and Blaise Zabinni is a Slytherin wizard from the Harry Potter universe.
- Cedric - A Scottish name and also the name of one of the most famous Hufflepuff's of all time, Cedric Diggory
- David - Perhaps one of the more mainstream names on the list, but magical nonetheless because of the famous magician David Copperfield
- Draco - Latin for dragon it is also the name of the complex nemesis of Harry Potter
- Everard - A Germanic name meaning strong as a boar. A former headmaster at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
- Gandalf - Famous wizard from The Lord of the Rings
- Gwydion - is a famous trickster and magician from Welsh mythology.
- Harry - Famous for Harry Potter but also could be associated with the famous magician from the early 20th century, Harry Houdini.
- Merlin - Perhaps one of the oldest wizarding names from the Old English Arthurian legend the Knights of the Round Table
- Kingsley - An Auror, a wizard who fights Death Eaters in the Harry Potter series, also a member of the Order of the Phoenix, the group who ultimately leads the fight to take down Voldemort
- Lucius - A Latin name that means light. The name of Draco Malfoy's father in Harry Potter.
- Neville - The unlikely hero from the Harry Potter series
- Oscar - Spanish origin name and the first name of The Wizard in the book The Wizard of OZ
- Prospero - The title character from Shakespeare's The Tempest
- Penn - The name of one of the magicians from the famous duo Penn & Teller
- Peter - A Hebrew name for stability, it is a name that has been used repeatedly in magical tales; Peter Pan, Peter from The Bureau of Magical Things, and one of the four children from The Chronicles of Narnia
- Puck - The mischievous and magical fairy from Shakespeare's fantastical play A Midsummer Night's Dream
- Radagast - A Slavic name meaning tender of beasts. One of the five wizards sent to Middle Earth on a rescue mission in The Lord of the Rings
- Remus - Remus Lupin was a one-year professor of Defense Against the Dark Arts at Hogwarts and one of Harry Potter's father's best friends. Remus is Latin for swiftness. Also, one of the famous twins from the story on the founding of Rome.
- Rincewind - The main character from Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. A failed student from the Unseen University for wizards.
- Ronald - Ronald Weasley, Harry Potter's best friend, and mischief mate throughout the entire series. A member of the house of Gryffindor for bravery and inner strength, which he proves over and over at Harry's side.
- Rubeus - The first name of Harry Potter's de facto guardian Rubeus Hagrid. The name means powerful son.
- Saruman - Leader of the Istari or wizards in the Lord of the Rings trilogy
- Sauron - Dark overlord and antagonist in Tolkien's One Ring part of the Lord of the Rings trilogy
- Severus - The name of the Slytherin Head of House during Harry's time at Hogwarts and arguably one of the bravest wizards that ever lived.
- Sirius - The first name of Harry Potter's misjudged godfather. It is the Greek name for the Dog Star.
- Teller - The name of one of the magicians from the famous duo Penn & Teller
Girl Wizard or Witch Names
- Abigail - English name and antagonist from one of the most famous stories on the Salem Witch trials The Crucible by Arthur Miller
- Agatha - the actual name of Marvel's Agnes from the TV show Wandavision who turns out to be the Scarlet Witch’s twin sister.
- Alecto - One of the three Furies from Greek mythology, the name means implacable and unceasing. A head Death Eater in Voldemort’s army.
- Astra - Latin name meaning star. Stars and astrology are often involved in stories of magic and witchcraft.
- Bellatrix - Voldemort's right-hand Death Eater and perhaps one of the most wicked and brutal witches of all time
- Cassandra - A Greek prophetess who was cursed by Apollo so that no one would believe her prophecies
- Circe - Famous Greek sorceress who could turn people into animals. Also, the name of the main character from the famous TV show Game of Thrones.
- Elphaba - The protagonist of the famous Broadway musical Wicked and the book by the same name by Gregory Maguire
- Elsa - Few names could be more magical than Queen Elsa turned magical spirit/goddess in Disney's Frozen.
- Endora - The magical mother-in-law from the television show Bewitched
- Fleur - French for flower and the impressive witch from France that ends up marrying Bill Weasley in Harry Potter
- Ginny - The love interest and eventual wife of Harry Potter, short for Ginerva
- Glinda - Famous from the Wizard of Oz, the perfect cheerful name for a "good witch."
- Gwen - A Welsh name. Gwen was the first woman to be hanged by the Christian church for being a witch.
- Hermione - is a Greek name made famous by the Harry Potter series. The name means messenger, and Hermione Granger was Harry's famous, know-it-all best friend.
- Jadis - The White Witch from The Chronicles of Narnia
- Luna - Italian for the moon, she is also the loveable, quirky Ravenclaw friend of Harry Potter.
- Matilda - The name of the magical little girl from Roald Dahl's book by the same name.
- Minerva - Not only is this the Greek name for the goddess of wisdom and invention, but it is also the first name of the Gryffindor Head of House and mentor to Harry Potter Minerva McGonagall.
- Molly - The one of a kind and stoic matriarch of the magical Weasley Family
- Morgan - The name of the famous enchantress from the Legend of King Arthur
- Narcissa - Greek name that means numbness. The narcissus plant is a sedative with a numbing effect—the name of Draco Malfoy's mother in the Harry Potter series.
- Nessarose - The name of the ill-fated girl who will one day become The Wicked Witch of the East in the book Wicked and the Broadway musical by the same name.
- Poppy - An English name meaning red flower. The matron of the hospital wing of Hogwarts during Harry Potter's time at school. Poppy flowers have magical properties in The Wizard of Oz
- Raven - An English name for a type of blackbird. Ravens are often associated with magical tales and witches.
- Ravenna - In the original fairytale Snow White and the Huntsman, the evil queen's real name is this beautiful and eerie one. Disney chose to leave it out, but she was a mighty sorceress, name or no name.
- Rowena - The famously tragic founder of the House of Ravenclaw at Hogwarts
- Sabrina - A Latin name. Became a famous witch name from the popular TV show Sabrina the Teenage Witch
- Samantha - An English name, the protagonist from the TV series Bewitched
- Sarah - A Hebrew name for a princess. The name of a talented witch from the movie The Craft
- Selene - The Greek goddess of the moon
- Ursula - The name of the evil sea witch from The Little Mermaid. Disney chose to honor this name and keep it the same in their movie adaptation.
- Wanda - The name of Marvel's The Scarlet Witch
Gender Neutral Wizard Names
- Ailwyn - An English name that means elf or magical creature
- Atlantes - Plural for the mysterious and magical lost city of Atlantis
- Binx - This gender-neutral name came about because of the cult classic Hocus Pocus. In the film, he was turned into a black cat by a curse from the Sanderson sisters.
- Elvin - English name, elf or magical being, friend
- Irah - An English name commonly used for both boys and girls, is a name from the video game Warlock.
- Kiano - An African name that means tools of the Wizard
- Magic - American name, Full of wonder
- Nox - A Latin name for the night. Used as a Harry Potter spell to turn off the light.
- Phoenix - A magical bird that catches on fire then is reborn out of its own ashes
- Veritas - Latin for truth. The first word in the name of truth serum in Harry Potter
Looking for more baby names and inspiration? Check out our Baby Name Center.
Considering one of these names? Pin it to save it for later: