Meaning and Origin of: Bailey
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Girl name origins & meanings:
- French : Bailiff
- Old English : Fortification
Girl name variations
Family name origins & meanings:
- English : status name for a steward or official, Middle Englishbail(l)i (Old French baillis, from Late Latinbaiulivus, an adjectival derivative of baiulus‘attendant’, ‘carrier’ ‘porter’).
- English : topographic name for someone who lived by the outer wall of a castle, Middle English bail(l)y,baile ‘outer courtyard of a castle’, from Old Frenchbail(le) ‘enclosure’, a derivative of bailer ‘to enclose’, a word of unknown origin. This term became a place name in its own right, denoting a district beside a fortification or wall, as in the case of the Old Bailey in London, which formed part of the early medieval outer wall of the city.
- English : habitational name from Bailey in Lancashire, named with Old English beg ‘berry’ +lēah ‘woodland clearing’.
- English : Anglicized form of French Bailly.
- English : The surname Bailey was established early on in North America by several different bearers; one of them, James Bailey, was one of the founders of Rowley, MA.